PDA

View Full Version : have you checked the screensaver you use to see how much memory it uses?

Danielle
December 30th, 2005, 04:18 AM
i was just clicking through some of the screensavers with the system monitor on a panel. 1 or 2 of the screensavers use almost 100% CPU afew use about 50% and others almost nothing on my system. i just thought you might like to test your screensaver to check it's not using all your CPU.

briancurtin
December 30th, 2005, 04:51 AM
i dont run a screensaver because every one of them takes up unecessary amounts of memory, and they end up cranking the **** out of my fans if i leave the machine for a few minutes. that shouldnt be a problem on a P4 3.2-HT with 1 GB of memory, but apparently it is.

i just blank the screen and it turns off after some amount of time.

Danielle
December 30th, 2005, 09:12 AM
hi, briancurtin, i hadn't ever used a screensaver until i started using Ubuntu. i hadn't really thought much about it because resources seem to be alot better with Ubuntu. however, i think i might disable mine now too.

Rinzwind
December 30th, 2005, 09:14 AM
I don't use one too.

My screens blanks out after 5 minutes of non-activity.
Works alot better than a screensaver :)

asimon
December 30th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Currently I am using "Slide Show" which is rather low on CPU power.

Perfect Storm
December 30th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Using endgame (gl) screensaver. No problems here.

Danielle
December 30th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Using endgame (gl) screensaver. No problems here.
endgame is one of the ones i have problems with, that's why i said "on my system" and didn't mention any by name because i was fairly sure Ubuntu wouldn't be releasing screensavers with memory leaks.

i think i have a driver problem i use the S3 ProSavage driver and i don't think they are the best in the world. i have checked synaptic and i have the lastest driver from there, but as well as not being great i don't think many people use them so they aren't updated much.

still it's only screensavers i have trouble with so it's something i can live with :)

asimon
December 30th, 2005, 12:39 PM
i was fairly sure Ubuntu wouldn't be releasing screensavers with memory leaks.
I wouldn't bet on this. ;-)

Danielle
December 30th, 2005, 12:45 PM
I wouldn't bet on this. ;-)
really? i would have thought that they don't look at them that closely, but wouldn't a memory leak be too obvious to miss? would it be easy to miss it on a powerful system if they just had a quick look at the CPU?

asimon
December 30th, 2005, 12:58 PM
wouldn't a memory leak be too obvious to miss? would it be easy to miss it on a powerful system if they just had a quick look at the CPU?
Well that depends on how big the memory leak is, and on how popular the respective screen saver is, if someone who detects the memory leak files a bug report to let the developers now, and if someone actually cares enough to fix the issue...

Danielle
December 30th, 2005, 01:27 PM
well, what happens when you run endgame? atm i think it's more likely my card because afew of the other screensavers run really, really slowly for me and that's definately my card. endgame's really slow too, but i think it's supposed to be. :)

asimon
December 30th, 2005, 01:50 PM
well, what happens when you run endgame? atm i think it's more likely my card because afew of the other screensavers run really, really slowly for me and that's definately my card. endgame's really slow too, but i think it's supposed to be. :)
Endgame seems to run fine here. The board rotates rather slow but very smooth.

Memory consumation as shown by top was VIRT 15388 RES 9576 SHR 2676. I only run it for 2-3 minutes, in this short time the memory consumation didn't increase.

Danielle
December 30th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Endgame seems to run fine here. The board rotates rather slow but very smooth.

Memory consumation as shown by top was VIRT 15388 RES 9576 SHR 2676. I only run it for 2-3 minutes, in this short time the memory consumation didn't increase.
it's official then, i've got a rubbish PC :mad: although it's no great surprise. i was looking at the `do you build your own PC?` thread. maybe i should start building. :D

bonzodog
December 30th, 2005, 04:15 PM
No probs here. I can run GLMatrix on mine with no increase in memory usage, but I have got an Nvidia 6200GT 256MB card and Nvidia based 64 bit system with 1GB RAM

blueturtl
December 30th, 2005, 04:18 PM
I think OpenGL screensavers are really nice and they run very well under Ubuntu. At least I get higher framerates than I ever did running 3D things in Windows.

Memory is not an issue for me since I have too much of it anyway, but running a CPU/GPU-hog screensaver does have the effect of turning up the heat and thus producing more noise... I think this might be because 1) your Geforce sucks up more power causing the PSU and itself to heat up more 2) both the fan on your Geforce and PSU respond to higher temperature/stress by increasing the rate of the fan cooling. Same goes for the CPU, although if I'm correct 3D screensavers mostly cause work for the videocard (?)

It's a shame since some of those screensavers do look very nice. I just run a blank screen at the moment.

Danielle
December 30th, 2005, 05:11 PM
No probs here. I can run GLMatrix on mine with no increase in memory usage, but I have got an Nvidia 6200GT 256MB card and Nvidia based 64 bit system with 1GB RAM
i can't run that at all. i've got a celeron processor to go with my ProSavage :( maybe i should forget about the PC and use a pencil and paper instead :p