PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Back up Preferences in Mozilla?

Hellstudios
March 19th, 2009, 06:01 AM
all I really do on my computer is surf the net and play games. so I won't really mind doing a Fresh install on my new SATA hard drive, but how do I back up everything I've ever done in Mozilla to a USB stick? thats all I want to do and I'll be happy. Since I have like 800 Bookmarks and saved Passwords I'd Hate to get rid of.

Thanks,
Hellstudios

Tim Sharitt
March 19th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Save your ~/.mozilla folder. It contains all you bookmarks, saved password, extentions, etc. Replace the ~/.mozilla folder on your new install with your backup copy and everything should be just like it was on on the old system.

Hellstudios
March 20th, 2009, 10:01 PM
where do I find that folder?

sorry for the late reply / bump.

Tim Sharitt
March 21st, 2009, 08:56 PM
The .mozilla folder is in your home folder (/home/username/). ~ is just your home folder, /home/username/folder is the same as ~/folder.
The .mozilla folder ( or any other folder of file name beginning with . ) is hidden. To see it in nautilus, got to View > Show hidden files or ctrl+h. To see it with ls in the terminal you'll need to add the -a option.

ls -a

SuperSonic4
March 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM
cp -Rfv ~/.mozilla /media/disk will copy the mozilla folder and it's contents to /media/disk (which I believe are what removeable devices are mounted as).