PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing a distro lol...

Twitch6000
March 19th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Well I know these pop up too often,but yeah I have gone on a distro hopping spree again and can't seem to find a distro for me.

So let me just post what I am looking for and what I have tried and liked and not liked lol.

I am looking for -

A Distro that uses Gnome Or XFCE by default.(Or has a choice like ManDriva PowerPack)

A Distro with a decent amount of software by default that is up to date.

Has alot of GUI tools installed.(I don't hate the CLI I just like GUI tools better)

Now what I have tried and liked -

Mandriva One - I liked it because it was easy to setup and with a bit of fiddiling everything worked. Why I am not using it, well I can't seem to get my screen to be full size on it...

ManDriva PowerPack - Same as above

PClinuxOS - This is the first Distro every to work 100% out of the box, only problem I had with it was outdated software and some sound issues...

Linux Mint 6 - Great Distro,but the wireless on it acts up...

Ubuntu - Well Linux Mint is based off of it. I can say it is a decent and well working distro after installing about 300 programs lol...

Ones I dislike -

Open Suse 11 - Okay only I can see how someone would like this dsitro, but when it don't like me ... I won't like it lol...

Arch Linux - I did try this distro again and got it working believe it or not lol... Yet I find it to CLI like so... not for me :(.

Other then that I am neutral on any other distros lol.

So maybe there is a distro out there for me?

My specs -

Nvidia 8200 M G

3gb ram

2.0 ghz cpu

swoll1980
March 19th, 2009, 04:06 AM
I think I've tried all the more popular ones. Madriva, and Debian/Ubuntu/Mint Are defiantly the cream of the crop. If you've already tried these then you pretty much ruined you self for all others in my opinion. It's all down hill from here. There's others, like Dream and foresight, and 20 others, but these are not nearly as polished.

C!oud
March 19th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Fedora! :)

wolfen69
March 19th, 2009, 04:09 AM
if every distro you try has "issues", i think it's safe to say your hardware is either very linux unfriendly, or it is just plain buggered. i've owned 5 different computers in the last 3 years, and just about every distro i've tried runs great. something to think about.

abyssius
March 19th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Did you ever try the Ubuntu Ultimate Edition? It comes loaded with programs and 'eye-candy'. Great look right off the bat with Gnome.
http://ultimateedition.info/

Twitch6000
March 19th, 2009, 04:21 AM
if every distro you try has "issues", i think it's safe to say your hardware is either very linux unfriendly, or it is just plain buggered. i've owned 5 different computers in the last 3 years, and just about every distro i've tried runs great. something to think about.

It certainly isn't my hardware as I had all my hardware working 100% no problems on PClinuxOS. My problem with PClinuxOS was alot of outdated software :(. Oh and Ubuntu after installing the right programs works fine aswell.

I have not tried fedora though oddly enough I might have to give that a try lol.

Oh and @abyssius yes I have infact my brother is using it on his laptop.

If I could get a good gamers edition 2.0 link... I wouldn't mind trying that out.

JackieChan
March 19th, 2009, 04:22 AM
You really need to try out Fedora. It's a great distro... Debian is also nice!

If you don't end up liking Fedora or Debian, I say stick to Mandriva. You seem to like that one the best out of the options.

Twitch6000
March 19th, 2009, 04:26 AM
You really need to try out Fedora. It's a great distro... Debian is also nice!

If you don't end up liking Fedora or Debian, I say stick to Mandriva. You seem to like that one the best out of the options.

I will be sure to try Fedora :).

As for debian I tried that on my old laptop and well at the time i didn't know alot so.. it didn't go to well lol..

Now though I would like to try it again if I could find a Sid download >.>.(I think I have to download lenny and change to the sid repos though :( )

MaxIBoy
March 19th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Whoop. Double post!

MaxIBoy
March 19th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Well I know these pop up too often,but yeah I have gone on a distro hopping spree again and can't seem to find a distro for me.

So let me just post what I am looking for and what I have tried and liked and not liked lol.

I am looking for -

A Distro that uses Gnome Or XFCE by default.(Or has a choice like ManDriva PowerPack)Well, that's one criterion taken off your list-- they've all got the choice to install a new DE. All of them. Puppylinux requires you to hack new features into it by compiling and then tweaking a bunch of stuff. Things like Gentoo make you compile everything, but they're more well-suited to running the system that way.

A Distro with a decent amount of software by default that is up to date.Ubuntu doesn't update its software too often (for "stability.") If cutting-edge-ness is important, either add software repositories and install stuff manually, or use a "rolling-release" distro.

Has alot of GUI tools installed.(I don't hate the CLI I just like GUI tools better)Ubuntu does this, but it conflicts with request 2. Linux Mint does this even more, but it's based on Ubuntu and thus conflicts with request 2. Puppylinux does this most of all, but it conflicts with request 1.

As annoying as this might sound, I suggest learning the CLI. We all start out hating it, but we also all end up loving it once we've learned it. Just a helpful suggestion.

Now what I have tried and liked -

Mandriva One - I liked it because it was easy to setup and with a bit of fiddiling everything worked. Why I am not using it, well I can't seem to get my screen to be full size on it...

ManDriva PowerPack - Same as aboveInstall the drivers. Google your distro and graphics card model and you should find tutorials.

PClinuxOS - This is the first Distro every to work 100% out of the box, only problem I had with it was outdated softwareRPMfind (http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/) is great for finding newer packages for Redhat/Fedora-based distros like PCLOS.
and some sound issues... Install the drivers. Google your distro and chipset/soundcard model and you should find tutorials.

Linux Mint 6 - Great Distro,but the wireless on it acts up...Use a different connection software. If that doesn't work, install different wireless drivers. Google your distro and chipset/wireless card model and you should find tutorials.

Ubuntu - Well Linux Mint is based off of it. I can say it is a decent and well working distro after installing about 300 programs lol...You only have to do it once, then you can run "dpkg -l > ~/some_text_file.txt" and you have a list of packages that you can save. Then, you can automatically install all packages listed in the file on any Ubuntu or Ubuntu-based distro (with some minor issues if you go from, for example, a clean install of a distro based on 8.04 to a clean install of a distro based on 8.10, but it's trivial to resolve these.)

Twitch6000
March 19th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Well, that's one criterion taken off your list-- they've all got the choice to install a new DE. All of them. Puppylinux requires you to hack new features into it by compiling and then tweaking a bunch of stuff. Things like Gentoo make you compile everything, but they're more well-suited to running the system that way.

Ubuntu doesn't update its software too often (for "stability.") If cutting-edge-ness is important, either add software repositories and install stuff manually, or use a "rolling-release" distro.

Ubuntu does this, but it conflicts with request 2. Linux Mint does this even more, but it's based on Ubuntu and thus conflicts with request 2. Puppylinux does this most of all, but it conflicts with request 1.

As annoying as this might sound, I suggest learning the CLI. We all start out hating it, but we also all end up loving it once we've learned it. Just a helpful suggestion.

[quote]Now what I have tried and liked -

Install the drivers. Google your distro and graphics card model and you should find tutorials.

RPMfind (http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/) is great for finding newer packages for Redhat/Fedora-based distros like PCLOS.Install the drivers. Google your distro and chipset/soundcard model and you should find tutorials.

Use a different connection software. If that doesn't work, install different wireless drivers. Google your distro and chipset/wireless card model and you should find tutorials.

You only have to do it once, then you can run "dpkg -l > ~/some_text_file.txt" and you have a list of packages that you can save. Then, you can automatically install all packages listed in the file on any Ubuntu or Ubuntu-based distro (with some minor issues if you go from, for example, a distro based on 8.04 to a distro based on 8.10, but it's trivial to resolve these.)

Wow ... your reply was worse then wolfen69's lol...

What do you think I first do on any distro.... I go and get any driver not installed... *slaps self*

Oh and PClinuxOS is not fedora based... it is Mandriva Based...

RedSquirrel
March 19th, 2009, 04:39 AM
I will be sure to try Fedora :).

As for debian I tried that on my old laptop and well at the time i didn't know alot so.. it didn't go to well lol..

Now though I would like to try it again if I could find a Sid download >.>.(I think I have to download lenny and change to the sid repos though :( )
You can insall sid directly by running the Debian installer in expert mode or (equivalently) changing the debconf priority to low. The debconf priority is one of the options you will see along with the rest of the steps in the installation.

... and you should try Fedora. :P

Twitch6000
March 19th, 2009, 04:40 AM
You can insall sid directly by running the Debian installer in expert mode or (equivalently) changing the debconf priority to low. The debconf priority is one of the options you will see along with the rest of the steps in the installation.

... and you should try Fedora. :P

Hummm then I have two distros to try :P.

pwnst*r
March 19th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Did you ever try the Ubuntu Ultimate Edition? It comes loaded with programs and 'eye-candy'. Great look right off the bat with Gnome.
http://ultimateedition.info/

quoting "eye-candy" is right. that's disgusting.

MaxIBoy
March 19th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Wow ... your reply was worse then wolfen69's lol...

What do you think I first do on any distro.... I go and get any driver not installed... *slaps self*As soon as you get those drivers installed, the hardware will work. No exceptions. If it doesn't come with the drivers out of the box, that's probably intentional and not a "flaw." If you want something to come with drivers, specify that, instead of saying you "couldn't get it to work."

Oh and PClinuxOS is not fedora based... it is Mandriva Based...
And Mandriva is a fork of RedHat. All of them use the RedHat Package Format (RPM,) thus making them RedHat based. And Fedora is pretty much "RedHat beta."

Twitch6000
March 19th, 2009, 05:11 AM
As soon as you get those drivers installed, the hardware will work. No exceptions. If it doesn't come with the drivers out of the box, that's probably intentional and not a "flaw." If you want something to come with drivers, specify that, instead of saying you "couldn't get it to work."

And Mandriva is a fork of RedHat. All of them use the RedHat Package Format (RPM,) thus making them RedHat based. And Fedora is pretty much "RedHat beta."

Well either you or myself is wrong,because I have all the drivers installed yet the screen will not go full size >.>.

Sorry,but drivers are not always the answer...

Sometimes it is the OS itself.

cardinals_fan
March 19th, 2009, 06:22 AM
I'm going to recommend Zenwalk or Vector.

namegame
March 19th, 2009, 06:43 AM

I second both of these recommendations, I'm currently running Zenwalk it's a joy for me. :)

Naiki Muliaina
March 19th, 2009, 10:17 AM

Thirded!

I loved Zenwalk so much, it feels so right with XFCE.

sim-value
March 19th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Well either you or myself is wrong,because I have all the drivers installed yet the screen will not go full size >.>.

Sorry,but drivers are not always the answer...

Sometimes it is the OS itself.
Tried setting the Resolution ?! :P

I recommend you Gentoo Linux

Then you can do anything you want and only blame yourself for it ...

/me

billgoldberg
March 19th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Give Sabayon Linux a try.

Vorian Grey
March 19th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Sounds to me like you need to be using openSuse. I know you've tried it and hated it. I did too at first. It's completely different from any other Linux I've ever tried. It was almost like starting over in Linux again. However, I was determined to make it work and it did after a few weeks. Things just started to click. Now, openSuse is by far my favorite distro.

forrestcupp
March 19th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Give Sabayon Linux a try.

+1

Sabayon Linux is what I would suggest. It's based on Gentoo, but it's a lot easier to work with. They set it up so that you have your choice between compiling everything with portage, or installing precompiled binaries. So you really get the best of both worlds.

Here's a good press release (http://forum.sabayonlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=15581) of the latest version's features. It really looks pretty awesome. Most things work out of the box, even the restricted codecs and things. And it comes default with a lot of great apps.

That's definitely the one I would check out.