PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sticking With Gutsy Gibbon

Nosophorus
March 19th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Hi!

I have tried both Ubuntu Hardy Heron and Intrepid Ibex, and, to my complete disapointment, both sucked a lot! Audacious sounds extremely weird, even messing around with its equalizer, it could not give me the sound I had while running it on Gutsy Gibbon. It was almost impossible to run some videos which I could easily run on Gutsy -- but, being honest, the main problem has to do with the sound output I get on Hardy and Intrepid (the video issue is just a minor detail I could solve). Let alone that icon sizes are much smaller in Gutsy, what makes my Desktop environment much visually nicer (even after shrinking the icon sizes on Hardy and Intrepid -- to 23 --, they still looks like bigger than Gutsy's shrunk icons -- size 23).

Simple said: I prefer Gutsy. :)

So, I have decided to come back to the good old Gutsy -- so far the best Ubuntu release in my humble opinion --, but I am a little worried about security and update issues, since that release will not be supported anymore starting in April 2009. Therefore, what kind of problems I would face if I decide to keep Gutsy on my machine?

I should tell you I am a graduate student and there are some (indeed a lot of) programs I need in order to do research, then I don't have too much spare time to install, uninstall, and reinstall operating systems on my machine and, then, reinstall all the softwares (g++, R, gnuplot, maxima, sql, etc...) I use at university, much less messing around with sound and video apps to work correctly.

I greatly appreciate your opinion.

Thank You!

zvacet
March 19th, 2009, 11:30 PM
what kind of problems I would face if I decide to keep Gutsy on my machine?

You will no longer get security updates after April.

mocoloco
March 19th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Sorry to hear about all your issues. I would wonder if some/all of them would be fix by Jaunty. Otherwise I would say stick with Gutsy if you like, the only real downside is as zvacet pointed out, no more security/bug updates after April.