PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] MySQL - lost root password

bzarr
March 19th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Hi, hopefully someone can help me with this...

Whilst trying to get my web server to talk to my database server I have somehow managed to revoke all permissions to the mysql database. Thankfully I haven't yet migrated the data onto it, so I won't lose anything, but how do I reinstall MySQL and set new users/permissions?

I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (Ibex) Server, LAMP + SSH install with no GUI except phpmyadmin.

Thanks in advance!

upchucky
March 19th, 2009, 01:44 AM
assuming the mysql password you set is different from the root password of ubuntu.

do sudo apt-get remove mysql then do sudo apt-get install mysql, this time write the password down that it asks you to set when it installs. make sure this password is not the same as ubuntu root password.

bzarr
March 19th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Hi, thanks for replying...

I've tried this (although with mysql-server, not mysql as it doesn't find that), it'll happily do the removal and the installation, but on install does not ask for a new password.

And yes, the password is different to the system root password.

Hmmm...

upchucky
March 19th, 2009, 02:06 AM
it should have asked you to set a password on the original install?

an apt-get remove --purge mysql-server should remove all files, and hopefully let the password file be recreated on a new install

someone either here or at linux questions.org should be able to tell you where the password file is created if needed.

unfortunately i no longer have mysql on my system so i can't look for it.

bzarr
March 19th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Just gave that a try, no luck either, but does appear to do more of the installation after doing sudo apt-get install mysql-server again.

However, this time i'm getting a different error trying to access mysql from the command line:
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

Any ideas? Or should I hunt for the password file?