PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows/Dos Executable File?

Ajak25
March 19th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I know about Wine and I've got that all installed right. But I was wondering if anyone knew of an application for Ubuntu that would allow me to run Windows/Dos Executable files. Take for instance, a Warcraft 3 Auto Refresher. (This is used to refresh the slots while hosting a game on Battle.net) I have one on my desktop, but am unable to run it with Wine and I can't seem to find an Ubuntu compatible refresher online. Send me an email or just post below me, any ideas you have to this problem. I'm pretty sure I've heard of a program that could run these files but I'm not sure o.O.

PS: Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place heh.

Mark Phelps
March 19th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I know about Wine and I've got that all installed right. But I was wondering if anyone knew of an application for Ubuntu that would allow me to run Windows/Dos Executable files.

Yes -- Wine!!

Linux is not MS Windows -- it doesn't understand .EXE files. Wine provides a SW layer that DOES understand .EXE files.

There are variations on Wine that provide more capabilities, but as far as I know, they're all published by CodeWeavers.

So, basically, it's Wine, or one of it's variants.

Elisavan
August 30th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Yes -- Wine!!

Linux is not MS Windows -- it doesn't understand .EXE files. Wine provides a SW layer that DOES understand .EXE files.

There are variations on Wine that provide more capabilities, but as far as I know, they're all published by CodeWeavers.

So, basically, it's Wine, or one of it's variants.

((I know this thread doesn't have good tags that relate to my issue, but I figured that since this thread contained half of my answer already, I shouldn't go creating more threads and needless clutter on the nice, pretty site ^_~*))

So, if I wanted to run, for instance, an .EXE file with Type: "DOS/Windows executable (application/x-ms-dos-executable)", Wine would be my best (if not only) choice?

I have a CDRom I need to be able to run for one of my classes, and I'd prefer it if I didn't have to rely on my roomate's Vista laptop every time *Resists strong urge to shudder*

DirtDawg
August 30th, 2009, 04:52 AM
((I know this thread doesn't have good tags that relate to my issue, but I figured that since this thread contained half of my answer already, I shouldn't go creating more threads and needless clutter on the nice, pretty site ^_~*))

So, if I wanted to run, for instance, an .EXE file with Type: "DOS/Windows executable (application/x-ms-dos-executable)", Wine would be my best (if not only) choice?

I have a CDRom I need to be able to run for one of my classes, and I'd prefer it if I didn't have to rely on my roomate's Vista laptop every time *Resists strong urge to shudder*

Yes, Wine is your best bet. Try running your EXE file. The worst that could happen is it doesn't work.

If it doesn't run, try running wine from a terminal. That way you'll get some error messages that may (or may not) help you run your program.

mikewhatever
August 30th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Hi Elisavan, I think running Windows in Virtual box is also an option, and the result is usually quite a success.