PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] KDE installed, now how do I uninstal GNOME?

GeistDev
March 19th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Hey everyone,

I am semi-new to Ubuntu and learning as I go on with it. I installed KDE4 a week or so ago and love it, and now I want to get rid of GNOME.

My first question is, how do I set the KDE login to be the default login, as the GNOME 'human' log in still displays when my computer is turned on.

My second question is, after I have the KDE login as the default, how can I go about removing GNOME completely?

Thanks for all your help!

metallicamike
March 19th, 2009, 12:03 AM
you could just do a fresh install of kubuntu...

GeistDev
March 19th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Uh, yes, I could, except I am not starting from scratch -so that is NOT an option. Now I have KDE and GNOME both, I just want to get rid of GNOME, simple.

Name change
March 19th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Hey everyone,

I am semi-new to Ubuntu and learning as I go on with it. I installed KDE4 a week or so ago and love it, and now I want to get rid of GNOME.

My first question is, how do I set the KDE login to be the default login, as the GNOME 'human' log in still displays when my computer is turned on.

My second question is, after I have the KDE login as the default, how can I go about removing GNOME completely?

Thanks for all your help!
You have to change your log in screen from GDM to KDM. Don't know how, sorry. That was one of reasons why I decided to switch to Arch, because even when I was still using Kubuntu I knew how to do that on Arch but not on Kubuntu. But my guess would be that you have to change something in /etc/rc.d

Now how to uninstall Gnome:

sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop that should do the trick.
And there you go you have a KDE only Ubuntu :D!
Welcome to the wonderful world of KDE!

metallicamike
March 19th, 2009, 12:11 AM
go into adept manager and uninslall gnome. But i cant guarrantee that all of your apps will stay. i suggest just keeping it the way it is now. GNOME is very usefull for some things and KDE too.they both have their strengths and weaknesses. unless of course you don't have enough HDD space.

GeistDev
March 19th, 2009, 12:15 AM
go into adept manager and uninslall gnome. But i cant guarrantee that all of your apps will stay. i suggest just keeping it the way it is now. GNOME is very usefull for some things and KDE too.they both have their strengths and weaknesses. unless of course you don't have enough HDD space.

I thought about keeping GNOME, but the cluttered menus are driving me crazy!

You have to change your log in screen from GDM to KDM. Don't know how, sorry. That was one of reasons why I decided to switch to Arch, because even when I was still using Kubuntu I knew how to do that on Arch but not on Kubuntu. But my guess would be that you have to change something in /etc/rc.d

I figured it out!

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

Thanks for the help, everyone!

albinootje
March 19th, 2009, 12:19 AM

Edit /etc/X11/default-display-manager to use kdm instead of gdm
(/usr/bin/kdm vs. /usr/sbin/gdm)

If you're using 8.10, then see here :
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde

And removing the meta-package ubuntu-desktop is not enough :)

Name change
March 19th, 2009, 01:01 AM
And removing the meta-package ubuntu-desktop is not enough :)
I always thought it was :D
My apologies to OP for my mis-information.