PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm learning C++

gralco
March 19th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I've been learning C++ for the past few weeks but I've been looking for an acquaintance, sometimes its somewhat hard for me to focus when learning alone. Since I'm only a high school student its kind of hard finding someone I know to study with. So with that said would you please come join me in learning C++, I use the Code::Blocks IDE and the GNU GCC compiler on Ubuntu (of course), I'm planing on helping any free and open source project with the GNU GPL or any project that is compatible the licence when I've learned enough. This is my launchpad account: https://edge.launchpad.net/~gralco if you want to contact you can do it so through this thread or on irc.freenode.net channel #Ubuntu-Youth. If you have any guides/tutorials/books that you want to use please tell me.

Time Zone: GMT -4

gralco
March 20th, 2009, 04:00 AM
bumpady

anyone?

Sockerdrickan
March 20th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Got Jabber?

matmatmat
March 20th, 2009, 04:58 PM
How far into learning C++ are you?

gralco
March 21st, 2009, 01:00 AM
Got Jabber?

Yes I do its gralco@jabber.org

How far into learning C++ are you?

Well its kind of hard to say, I've learn quite a few functions, statements and key word its not like I can really give you percentage or something, I'm not to the point where I can see the source code of a large open source project and modify it. Of course I know a small amount (nothing significant) though once I've learn C++ I would also like to learn python and a few others and also help some free and open source communities once I do.

simeon87
March 21st, 2009, 01:08 AM
Of course I know a small amount (nothing significant) though once I've learn C++ I would also like to learn python and a few others and also help some free and open source communities once I do.

Wouldn't Python be a better (first?) choice?

gralco
March 21st, 2009, 02:53 AM
Wouldn't Python be a better (first?) choice?
There are lots of difference speculations and opinions on what should be learned when you should go with what you believe would be best for you, I choose C++ to learn first read documentations that are as least biased as possible then you should be able to decide for yourself.

matmatmat
March 21st, 2009, 12:06 PM
I'm interested in learning C++, did you look at anything online or just books?

Eisenwinter
March 21st, 2009, 01:08 PM
I have a book on C, but am currently learning Perl anyway.

simeon87
March 21st, 2009, 01:59 PM
There are lots of difference speculations and opinions on what should be learned when you should go with what you believe would be best for you, I choose C++ to learn first read documentations that are as least biased as possible then you should be able to decide for yourself.

Well, it depends - since you're asking for guidance, Python would be a better choice to learn how to program. Yes, C++ is well known and used in many projects but it's easier to go wrong with errors that are tricky to debug. You don't mention to have previous programming experience so it's up to you to assess your own capabilities.

nvteighen
March 21st, 2009, 07:46 PM

Ok, but there are lots of experience too about this and C++ is far more complex than other languages. It's even difficult for people that are experienced programmers because of its big amount of special cases and exceptions...

I have a book on C, but am currently learning Perl anyway.

Great. C != C++. And I don't see where Perl fits in this discussion besides the braces and the semicola... :p

mmix
March 22nd, 2009, 01:25 AM
Great, brighten your boost-fu
http://www.boost.org/

Sockerdrickan
March 22nd, 2009, 01:54 AM
c != c++
:???:

nvteighen
March 22nd, 2009, 01:03 PM
:???:
Of course... C++ can never equal C, because C != C + 1 :)

What I mean is that C and C++ are different languages. Yes, you can write C-like C++ code but that's absurd... for that use C (or Objective-C if you just want classes support). C++ only makes sense if you are willing to use its own standard library, STL, etc. (i.e. its own features, not those inherited from C).

matmatmat
March 28th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I'm using the book C++ Essentials from here (http://www.pragsoft.com/download.html), feel free to join me!
:)