PDA

View Full Version : Proprietary Driver for Ubuntu 9.04: Fglrx for X Server 1.6

newbie2
March 18th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Users of ATI graphics cards are used to some grief. Added to the chaos that many coexisting drivers can cause, now comes the announcement that commercial driver support for some pretty recent graphics cards is available. Insight comes from Bryce Harrington in an Ubuntu mailing list. AMD/ATI is providing a commercial driver, the fglrx 6.800, that should work with X Server 1.6.
http://www.linux-magazine.com/online/news/proprietary_driver_for_ubuntu_9_04_fglrx_for_x_ser ver_1_6

teledyn
May 6th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I hope this question isn't too naive but ... once we get the jackalope installed and find we have snailspeed graphics, where do we get the proprietary driver? Does it just magically appear the way the fglrx would before? (the jaunty install warns me that I will lose accellerated gfx if I continue with my install)

I also ran into a bug report that explained how to REMOVE the fglrx driver conclusively from your installation so as to install the ati driver -- so now I'm really confused; I thought the fglrx driver was the real deal, or is the proprietary driver called 'ati'?

More to the point I suppose, is there a GUIDE out there for us laptop owners who just want the blistering bootspeed to work on their Dell?

DeadSuperHero
May 6th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I'd only ever get an ATI card for the Radeon drivers.

I sure hope they removed that one binary blob from it, then I could totally use 3D-enabled gNewSense.