PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Burning Bootalbe CDs

Jarico
March 18th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Ok then, after a long history of computer problems going back and forth from Windows to Linux. I'm stuck with Windows XP not letting me into my computer without the activation key I don't have, and this computer with Linux on it. Though luckily I was able to find a Windows XP professional cd key on the inside of my Windows computer. Now before you label this as off topic I downloaded a Windows XP Pro .iso onto this Computer with Ubuntu on it. I then tried to burn it onto a CD and boot it up on my Windows Computer and then download XP Pro. The only problem is that it never seems to want to boot. I know that my CD drive is working and my BIOS is set to boot it. (It booted the Windows XP cd I had used, the one without a key...) I have been using the Linux Create CD tool and setting it to low speed, but I still have not been able to create a Bootable CD. Help.:(

Rocket2DMn
March 19th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Did you burn the .iso file as an image, not as data? You can't just copy the .iso file to the CD.
Either way, downloading a .iso of Windows XP is dangerous, and quite likely is an illegal rip. If your computer was a pre-built machine, you should be able to get a Windows installation disc from the manufacturer. This would be the best way to go.

If you do get XP installed but it doesn't like your CD key, and it is legit, call Microsoft tech support and be calm and patient with them. Explain your situation, give them the existing CD key if/when asked, and they should provide you with a new one.

Jarico
March 20th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Did you burn the .iso file as an image, not as data? You can't just copy the .iso file to the CD.
Either way, downloading a .iso of Windows XP is dangerous, and quite likely is an illegal rip. If your computer was a pre-built machine, you should be able to get a Windows installation disc from the manufacturer. This would be the best way to go.

If you do get XP installed but it doesn't like your CD key, and it is legit, call Microsoft tech support and be calm and patient with them. Explain your situation, give them the existing CD key if/when asked, and they should provide you with a new one.

I have already talked to Microsoft, they told me they didn't make Windows XP Pro CDs anymore so they couldn't send me one...

lisati
March 20th, 2009, 10:10 PM
As Rocket2DMn has observed, there are risks with downloaded Windows setup disks (the possibility of malware and potential legal hassles), and ISO files usually need to be burned as a disk image instead of as a file.

Presumably there's no sign of a recovery partition anywhere on your machine?

Jarico
March 20th, 2009, 10:17 PM
As Rocket2DMn has observed, there are risks with downloaded Windows setup disks (the possibility of malware and potential legal hassles), and ISO files usually need to be burned as a disk image instead of as a file.

Presumably there's no sign of a recovery partition anywhere on your machine?

I would have to look for a recovery partition...Also I did burn it as an image.

Rocket2DMn
March 20th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I have already talked to Microsoft, they told me they didn't make Windows XP Pro CDs anymore so they couldn't send me one...

What about your computer manufacturer? They should have OEM discs that they could send you. Obviously if you built the PC yourself or got it second hand, then this option doesn't really help. Perhaps a friend has a disc that you could borrow, so long as its the same XP version (Home vs Pro) and you are using your own registration key, it should be OK.

Jarico
March 21st, 2009, 12:24 AM
What about your computer manufacturer? They should have OEM discs that they could send you. Obviously if you built the PC yourself or got it second hand, then this option doesn't really help. Perhaps a friend has a disc that you could borrow, so long as its the same XP version (Home vs Pro) and you are using your own registration key, it should be OK.

Going to have to look into this a bit, my computer is an old handmedown Alienware...