PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading Questions

joshh88
March 18th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I have never had to do an Upgrade like you would in Linux. I'm a Windows native... convertee. IF and when I upgrade from 8.04 to either 8.10 or 9.04 will I lose all my files and setting like I have as it is, or is it just as simply as a security update? It took weeks to get my wireless card to work and would hate to have to figure it all out again(didn't write it down)after and upgrade. I didn't know how to word a search and I kept getting instructions on how to upgrade:rolleyes:

snova
March 18th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I have never had to do an Upgrade like you would in Linux. I'm a Windows native... convertee. IF and when I upgrade from 8.04 to either 8.10 or 9.04 will I lose all my files and setting like I have as it is, or is it just as simply as a security update?

The latter, except it covers every package in the system and is consequently much bigger. The package manager will never touch your home directory.

Global, system-wide settings are different... but it will ask before it overwrites anything you have changed.

It took weeks to get my wireless card to work and would hate to have to figure it all out again(didn't write it down)after and upgrade. I didn't know how to word a search and I kept getting instructions on how to upgrade:rolleyes:

The possibility is certainly there. Make a backup if you're concerned, or see if the Live CD has solved your problems since Hardy (though that may not be likely).