PDA

View Full Version : Linux can work miracles!!!

afm93
March 18th, 2009, 09:24 PM
This might sound kinda silly. But I was on my computer today. The one that I dun have linux installed on it yet (Due to it being an Aspire 4530). All of a sudden while browsing YouTube, the sound stopped working. It didn't matter if I wore headphones or not. It just didn't work. So I did a system restore, to no avail. Just to make sure it was a hardware problem or a software problem, I burned a copy of OPENsuse 64 bit, and booted it up. It worked (although the CD-ROM tray was louder then a jet engine, it still worked. But the sound didn't work. It was the hardware. So I restarted back into vista and BAM! it worked. My hypothesis is the ultimate power of Linux, revived the sound card from the 1's and 0's in the sky. So Linux can work miracles. Did you ever get to witness a Linux miracle?

Vince4Amy
March 18th, 2009, 09:26 PM
It gave it a working driver that's all.

afm93
March 18th, 2009, 09:30 PM
It gave it a working driver that's all.

It was a hardware problem due, to no OS being able to play sound on it. So it wasn't a driver issue.

Eisenwinter
March 18th, 2009, 09:39 PM
It was a hardware problem due, to no OS being able to play sound on it. So it wasn't a driver issue.
Are you sure the driver didn't just die out of nowhere? Rebooting Windows, caused the driver to be reloaded, and therefore function again.

afm93
March 18th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Are you sure the driver didn't just die out of nowhere? Rebooting Windows, caused the driver to be reloaded, and therefore function again.

I pretty much reinstalled the driver, and it still didn't work. Booted up the Linux liveCD, sound still didn't work. Rebooted after that (3rd time rebooting after the problem started), then it worked. So I think it was a linux miracle. O.o

Eisenwinter
March 18th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Alright, I believe you.

Kareeser
March 18th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Firmware reset, maybe. heh.

Vince4Amy
March 18th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Perhaps in between that time the card lost power for just long enough that it could reinitialise.

simtaalo
March 18th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Perhaps in between that time the card lost power for just long enough that it could reinitialise.

most likely explanation

Therion
March 18th, 2009, 09:55 PM
No, it's a Linux Miracle.

This one time, about six months ago, I installed Fedora on a two-day old poppyseed bagel, right, and my boot times were cut in half.

That's right... IN. HALF.

Eisenwinter
March 18th, 2009, 09:56 PM
The term "miracle" doesn't really apply in computers, as it is all logic based.

Miracles are illogical, and therefore obsolete, as far as computers go.

afm93
March 18th, 2009, 10:03 PM

I was thinking something along those lines. But I decided to call it a linux miracle :D

Vince4Amy
March 18th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Same thing happens with my Xbox 360 controller if I use an old kernel it bricks the controller until I power off the computer from the switch on the wall or unplug the controller.

afm93
March 18th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Same thing happens with my Xbox 360 controller if I use an old kernel it bricks the controller until I power off the computer from the switch on the wall or unplug the controller.

I unfortunately have to do that alot of times with my computer >.> It just all H*** breaks lose, until I let it sit for an hour.

Eisenwinter
March 18th, 2009, 10:24 PM
H***
You actually censored the word "hell"? come on man.

afm93
March 18th, 2009, 10:29 PM
You actually censored the word "hell"? come on man.

Oh........... sorry I'm not that good with forums. Let alone I dun know how to read the rules.

Eisenwinter
March 18th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Oh........... sorry I'm not that good with forums. Let alone I dun know how to read the rules.
Don't get me wrong man, it's good that you took the rules into consideration, I'm just saying, the word "hell" isn't a curse word or anything, so you don't have to censore it :)

afm93
March 18th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Don't get me wrong man, it's good that you took the rules into consideration, I'm just saying, the word "hell" isn't a curse word or anything, so you don't have to censore it :)

Oh ok :D

JK3mp
March 18th, 2009, 10:44 PM
LoL... jeesh :( Why can't people just see that linux is god and quit trying to make up explanations for its miracles. xD

afm93
March 18th, 2009, 10:52 PM
LoL... jeesh :( Why can't people just see that linux is god and quit trying to make up explanations for its miracles. xD

*Picks up a Linux LiveCD, submerges it in a bowl of water. Put's a brush in it, and flicks water at Windows, chanting "THE POWER OF LINUX COMPELS YOU DEMON!*

Primefalcon
March 18th, 2009, 11:53 PM
The term "miracle" doesn't really apply in computers, as it is all logic based.

Miracles are illogical, and therefore obsolete, as far as computers go.
Actually A lot of people really do consider miracles loosely anyhow a lot of people go wow what a miracle, when in reality they're refering to 1 in a million shot.

So really the meaning of miracle has kinda changed

MaxIBoy
March 19th, 2009, 12:00 AM
It's high time someone invoked Clarke's Third Law on this thread.

Maybe the CD drive spinning up resulted in your computer vibrating enough to reconnect some electrical contacts. Try opening your case and reseating the sound card (unless you use integrated sound.)