PDA

View Full Version : Puppy Linux Deep Thought 4.2

cptrohn
March 18th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Gotta say it's VERY slick so far in beta....

Looks good and brought my old Win 98 machine back to life, and the wireless support seems to be good... I used a cheapo USB WiFi device off of Ebay and it was recognized out of the box..

Great distro for old hardware.

ecomoney
April 12th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Puppy 4.2 final is out!!!

Release announcement
(http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40443)

HOWEVER

As far as puppies go, 4.2 was still fairly buggy! The main one being the word processor not displaying M$ word created files (although we now have docx support out of the box). Were reviewing our bugfixing/development strategies.

My advice is to use one of the bugfixed versions created by the community

Puppy 4.2 SMP (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40946)
This is a bugfixed 4.2 by puppy developer "Aragon" - with added support for multiple processor machines (although it works fine on single core machines too!). Recommended for new puppy users.

4.2 V2 Deeper Thought by Ttuxxx (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40852)
Ttuxxx was the lead developer for the 4.2 project. His version lacks some of the many new usability functions (such as pWidgets) which will be to the taste of some of the more hardened/traditional puppy users who prefer speed to "bling".

Talk is rife about an official 4.2.1 bugfixed version (hopefully soon!). The next version "Puppy 5 Woof" will have native debian package compatibility as well as lots more features.

Watch out Ubuntu were coming nipping at your ankles now, but tommorow we may just be stealing your bone! ):P

Woof Woof

swoll1980
April 12th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I have to say what's up with the side bar? Ugly and uses resources. Not what I want to see on a "light weight" distro.

pwnst*r
April 13th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I have to say what's up with the side bar? Ugly and uses resources. Not what I want to see on a "light weight" distro.

i have to agree. i think now that they say it's lightweight, they must be talking about install size, not resource usage.

Mehall
April 13th, 2009, 12:04 AM
i have to agree. i think now that they say it's lightweight, they must be talking about install size, not resource usage.

Nope. Still fits in all your RAM and runs bloody well if you have something like 190MB RAM or more.

Not had any issue with the sidebar.

EDIT: I'm referring to Live version, btw. Puppy's default is to load itself entirely to your RAM.

pwnst*r
April 13th, 2009, 12:04 AM
runs like stink? that's bad.

Mehall
April 13th, 2009, 12:07 AM
runs like stink? that's bad.

Couldn't think of a good description.

I say "runs like hell", but that also sounds negative.

I'll edit it, see if I can think of something better, but it runs awesome

linux4life88
April 13th, 2009, 12:07 AM
The sidebar reminds of Vista, but oh wait it doesn't need a million gigabytes of ram to run. I've always liked Puppy, it is small and runs quickly. It does exactly what it was created to do and it does it very well.

benj1
April 13th, 2009, 12:11 AM
whats the speed like when calculating 'the answer' ?

Mehall
April 13th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Heh, you think it's coincidence the Deep Thought version is "4.2"?

(EDIT: I was enhancing the point for anyone who didn;t notice, not asking if it was coincidence)

swoll1980
April 13th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Nope. Still fits in all your RAM and runs bloody well if you have something like 190MB RAM or more.

Not had any issue with the sidebar.

EDIT: I'm referring to Live version, btw. Puppy's default is to load itself entirely to your RAM.

When Puppy first came on the scene it would run like a champ with 64 MiB of RAM

benj1
April 13th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Heh, you think it's coincidence the Deep Thought version is "4.2"?

(EDIT: I was enhancing the point for anyone who didn;t notice, not asking if it was coincidence)

maybe they're immodestly saying this is the answer, if so their work is done so no more releases of puppy

Mehall
April 13th, 2009, 12:29 AM
When Puppy first came on the scene it would run like a champ with 64 MiB of RAM

I think it still does, it just can;t run entirely from RAM in that.

and be honest, how many computers only have 64MB of RAM? If you're using that little you're better off with a BSD, lets be honest. Even Tiny Core needs a minimum of 32MB and is slow on that.

@benj1: I think it's the last release of traditional Puppy's, because the plan is for the "woof" project to come to fruition.

ecomoney
April 26th, 2009, 07:06 AM
puppy will still install on 64mb of ram, using the "full" install method from the universal installer. This is a more traditional (like ubuntu) way of installing it where all the files get transferred to a partition, rather than being stared in a compressed pup_420.sfs. This uses about 24mb (just for Window manager and basics. All other programs are loaded into ram...rather than being in ram already. This means it will install in 32mb of RAM too (Ive actually done it!).The programs are only loaded entirely into RAM with 128mb or more....which makes things a lot quicker.

I recommend a good sized swap partition at these ram levels.