PDA

View Full Version : USB Device Insertion Notification and libusb

BillRebey
March 18th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I'm using libusb with C/C++ to interact with USB devices, but the libusb documentation clearly states that it does not provide notification of USB devices being inserted/removed.

Can anyone point me to a way to get some sort of event or interrupt or signal or something when a USB device is inserted?

WitchCraft
March 19th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Take a look at the source of autofs (kernel-based automounter for Linux).

apt-get build-dep autofs
apt-get source autofs

cabalas
March 19th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Doesn't the hal emit a signal via D-Bus whenever a usb device is inserted/removed? If you hook into that you should be fine.

DominaDoom
April 10th, 2009, 02:14 AM
After running

apt-get source autofs

I get

E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list

BillRebey
April 25th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Cabalas,

Thanks for the D-Bus pointer. That sounds like the ticket I'm looking for. However, I've scoured the Web for information and instruction on the use of D-Bus and GLib, and the only place I'm getting is frustrated.

I've installed dbus and glib, but the only binding header I get is "usr/include/dbus-1.0/dbus/dbus-pygthon.h". I need a "...dbus-glib.h", but it's not anywhere to be found.

I found several links to various versions of the dbus-glib.h header file, but they are all different, and all include various other g???? files that I don't have.

Can you point me to a resource that clearly explains how to get started with D-Bus and Glib from installation to "Hello World"? Nothing I'm coming across starts from scratch, and I'm apparently missing something in the translation.

Thanks for your help!