PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compiling KDE program for use in Gnome

jnewl
March 18th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I would like to use a piece of software (TorK) that requires KDE and its supporting libraries to be installed on my computer in order to compile. However, I use Gnome and would like to continue using Gnome (Ubuntu provides an older, outdated version of TorK in its package, so I'm assuming--perhaps stupidly--that I can run the new one with minimal fuss as well). So my question is: if I install the KDE files from Synaptic, will that automatically enable KDE, or will it only put the files on my hard drive while leaving Gnome enabled?

P.S. Are there any other potential problems or huge disasters waiting to happen I should be aware of?

Vadi
March 18th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I would highly recommend to see if there is a gnome version for tor available as it would be minimal fuss.

if I install the KDE files from Synaptic, will that automatically enable KDE, or will it only put the files on my hard drive while leaving Gnome enabled?

I think it depends on the way you install it - but if you already are running tork, then the necessary kde files are already present for it to run!

jnewl
March 18th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I would highly recommend to see if there is a gnome version for tor available as it would be minimal fuss.

Haven't been able to find anything. Google just returns a lot of links about garden gnomes and Norwegian guys named Tor. Can you suggest a better place to look?

I think it depends on the way you install it - but if you already are running tork, then the necessary kde files are already present for it to run!

Not according to the TorK website. They list the packages that need to be installed and when I look in Synaptic, the KDE one is not showing as installed.

Anyway, I can deal with all of that, I guess, but if you could answer my main question I'd appreciate it: does installing KDE automatically enable it or would Gnome remain my desktop manager?

Vadi
March 18th, 2009, 08:34 PM
If you install "kubuntu-desktop", it would then offer KDE as an option when logging in. Oh it will ask you to select either "gdm" or "kdm" as default (pick gdm for gnomes).

Otherwise if you just instal kde packages at worst it'll stuff a whole bunch of kde programs into your Applications menu and thats about it.