PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Disk Partitions

sargeant dread
March 18th, 2009, 08:58 AM
What's a good size for a partition when dual booting ubuntu? I installed it on a 17 gb partition, is that good? I've heard it runs fine on 10 gb or more and i've heard that i should've gone 20 but vista wouldnt let me do it. so far i dont think there's anything wrong except my connection needs to be really strong (80% or more) in order to do ANYTHING over the internet while running Ubuntu/Kubuntu

jocheem67
March 18th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Just try it, there's nothing wrong with 17 GB..it's plenty.

sargeant dread
March 18th, 2009, 09:05 AM
What's the minimum required?

furcino
March 18th, 2009, 09:35 AM
If you're so worried about space, fetch your old 500MB usb and install an USB version linux ;)

Ubuntu would run even on 2GB with a few alterations, but your 10GB guess should be right judging by what I'm using right now (8,9 GB and installed a few days ago).

You have nothing to worry about. Your system should be working fine.

WatchingThePain
March 18th, 2009, 11:42 AM
You need to estimate the size you will need by what you use it for (what kind of data it will store).
Especially if you are installing it all in the one partition.

machinecatzm
March 19th, 2009, 03:59 AM
I would like to install the Ubuntu8.10 on the Vmware6.5.0. When I created the disk with 10 gb and installed Ubuntu8.10 ,then mounted this part under the point /home, The OS prompt me that this space is not a appropriate one,which will fail with some software because of its disk size. So, I want to know the requirement for the lowest disk size.

sargeant dread
March 19th, 2009, 06:18 AM
I asked but no one told me

shailendra
March 19th, 2009, 06:56 AM
The Ubuntu website says that Ubuntu installation requires at least 4 GB of disk space.

dmaskal
April 8th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I have been running a dual boot set-up on a Compaq with a 15.1 GiB partition. All was well for about six months however I am now having space issues with Thunderbird.

Saved space by deleting Trash and Compacting folders -went from 96-91% free space.

I believe much depends on whether you install the text or graphic interface and how many applications you install. Most documents discri be Linux only. I have been like a kid in a candy store -installed many goodies.

Suggest 20 GiB next time.

Anyone with experience cloning desktop clients?

upchucky
April 8th, 2009, 07:07 PM
in general, a 1 gig swap, 10 gig for ubuntu, and about 25 gig or the rest of drive space for the home partition. with that said it is best to have a separate home partition so all your setting and data are intact to survive an unlikely re-install, or be safe if you like to play with the os like i do. it is most likely to survive my radical experiments or errors.

if you do not have a separate home partition with ubuntu already installed then look here to create one,

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

dmaskal
April 9th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Well articulated by upchucky, thanks.

furcino
April 29th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Just don't worry... I installed on a 50G partition, use it every day and there is bassically no way in which I'd fill the partition in 10 years except storing media or installing every programm there is I think 10G is sufficient. 20G is optimal so that you'll have some play-space. Anything over 20G is probably a waste of diskSpace.

My setup is 150G for Win, 50G for ubuntu and the rest (about 120G) for media files (no OS). You can access the media files from Win or linux. You could actually store media files in the windows partition too. So all you need the linux partition for is some free space for programms. You can store everything you need in the other partitions and access it however you want.

As I've said... If you need to save space on the disk install a USB version or get another (smaller) distro. Ubuntu is quite demanding in terms of disk-space. I recommend PUD (not xPUD). I still have it on several USB's and you can install it on hardDrive too. It needs less than 300MB and is bassically ubuntu without a few programms.