PDA

View Full Version : What makes a desktop environment a desktop environment?

shadow_code
March 18th, 2009, 06:23 AM
If you can mix and match virtually all the parts of a desktop environment (file managers, window managers, panels etc.), what makes GNOME "GNOME", or Xfce "Xfce" etc.

Would having all the parts of a desktop environment separate be better, and leave the choices up to the distributions?

SunnyRabbiera
March 18th, 2009, 06:46 AM
This is why window managers exist...
In linux the user interface can be divided into two categories, full desktop environments and window managers.
Fluxbox is a window manager
Enlightenment is a window manager
IceWM is a window manager
and sofourth.
Most of these window managers are lightweight in terms of packages, dependencies, and sometimes features sadly.
Out of the ones I have used I feel the only real window managers that can be usable like a normal desktop environment is Enlightenment and IceWM, Enlightenment feels more close then IceWM though.
Granted Fluxbox and the others can be setup to work fairly well but it takes a lot of configuring to get what most everyday users would find easy.

Educate yourself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_manager

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment

MaxIBoy
March 18th, 2009, 07:04 AM
If you can mix and match virtually all the parts of a desktop environment (file managers, window managers, panels etc.), what makes GNOME "GNOME", or Xfce "Xfce" etc.A "desktop environment" is intended to be a complete working environment, usually a graphical one. A window manager is only one component of a graphical DE. Some WMs have enough features that they can stand alone (most of the tiling WMs, as well as the *boxen, fall into this category.) Then there are WMs that are more specialized; they're designed to compliment other programs (for example, Metacity is designed to go with other GNOME components.) GNOME is simply a collection of software. Same with Xfce.

Would having all the parts of a desktop environment separate be better, and leave the choices up to the distributions?EDIT: Yeah, okay, that was a dumb mistake on my part, I see what you're saying. Do you mean to say that we should encourage mix-n'-match, each distro builds its own DE? Well, the answer is that this is already done to a limited extent, and if there were more demand for it, the practice would be more common.

Original response to what I thought you were saying is preserved for posterity:
If I interpret your question correctly, you want to know if it would be a good idea to prohibit mixing and matching of DE components. That's a bad idea. On my computer, I use GNOME-panel, the Compiz window manager, Nautilus, Thunar, Xfce4-panel, Gcalctool, gedit, and leafpad, often all at the same time. I have very good reasons for doing so, and it would be irritating to lock me out from doing these. After all, this is free software! (http://fsf.org/) (Free as in free speech, not free money.) I should have the freedom to customize my system as I wish.

shadow_code
March 18th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Educate yourself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_manager

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment
but I already knew all of that...

Do you mean to say that we should encourage mix-n'-match, each distro builds its own DE? Well, the answer is that this is already done to a limited extent, and if there were more demand for it, the practice would be more common.

Yea, I guess what I was thinking was:

Why bother replicating programs for the sake of keeping the same feel?

Now I think about it, it doesn't really matter. Seeing as it's good to keep the overall feel the same. It only sometimes seems like pointless replication.

ugm6hr
March 18th, 2009, 08:55 AM
freedesktop tries to encourage independence of all parts of a DE.

LXDE appears to have truly independent components.

Gnome / KDE - not so much.

chucky chuckaluck
March 18th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Most of these window managers are lightweight in terms of packages, dependencies, and sometimes features sadly.

what features would you be missing in openbox, for example?

yabbadabbadont
March 18th, 2009, 09:20 AM
what features would you be missing in openbox, for example?

The only things that I wish it had are trivialities. Pixmap themes and a toolbar like Fluxbox's. However, I can live without the themes and have found lxpanel to be an acceptable replacement for the toolbar.

chucky chuckaluck
March 18th, 2009, 09:32 AM
The only things that I wish it had are trivialities. Pixmap themes and a toolbar like Fluxbox's. However, I can live without the themes and have found lxpanel to be an acceptable replacement for the toolbar.

i don't even use a toolbar anymore in openbox (the only reason i ever used one was for a clock and i finally guessed how to make conky do that). i've never figured out how it would be possible to use gnome without at least one panel, unless i had icons all over the desktop.

yse
March 18th, 2009, 09:39 AM
freedesktop tries to encourage independence of all parts of a DE.

LXDE appears to have truly independent components.

Gnome / KDE - not so much.

LXDE is still X11 dependent.

In fact, we could have better WM today IF X11 could be changed.

All WM are X dependable.

X is responsible for all WM problems. X must be changed, because is full of bugs and problems, and still keep lots of bloated code, overall is a piece of garbage today.