PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Visual Boy Advanced

Ender SF
March 18th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Okay, three things.

1. Hello! I'm new to the forums.

2. I'm new to Ubuntu (and Linux for that matter).

3. I have a problem. I can't install visual boy advanced through Wine. It just doesn't open the application, so I just want to avoid messing with Wine altogether and install the Linux version of the program. But, I don't understand the install guides it gives me for the program. Help please?

Partyboi2
March 18th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Hi, open a terminal (Applications>Accessoires>Terminal) and install by typing

sudo apt-get install visualboyadvance Or open up Synaptic and search for "visualboyadvance" and install.

mayer213
March 18th, 2009, 08:48 AM
GameBoy Advance is an Emulator right? I thought that you can just click and play it. Is ti really that difficult to play it in the Linux OS?

LiamWilson
March 18th, 2009, 01:48 PM
No. All you need is the ROMs. Which are the game files, but you need the Emulator to play them. It's like opening a .odf file, it's got the data inside, but you need OpenOffice to open the file.

Yanz
March 18th, 2009, 02:19 PM
My Wine doesn't like to run anything really.. I cannot seem to get this working either.

Ender SF
March 18th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I actually found a way to get it to work with wine. You have to get the file mfc42.dll and put it in the system32 folder in wine. It opens, but now when I try to start up a rom (which I own the games to all three that I have) it freezes.

EDIT:
Okay, the fix for that is just drag the rom you want to play onto the already open VBA screen.

Thanks for you help.

jestjobe
March 26th, 2009, 10:46 PM
endersf that worked for me too...