PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] OK, OK, I'm Convinced!

accooper
March 18th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Ok, I am convinced that Ubuntu is great. Had it on my computer for about two weeks. Once again my 1.8 ghz computer runs like one!

BUT how do I get rid of Windows XP since I installed it as a dual boot? I'm sorry really sorry!

:guitar:

Andrew

upchucky
March 18th, 2009, 12:57 AM
you may want to keep xp around for a bit just in case u have software that does not work in linux yet. if you decide to dump xp remember that you will need to edit grub to remove it from the boot menu.

then it is a simple matter of changing the win partition to ext3 partition using gparted.

just in case you did not make a separate home partition for ubuntu, doing so when u dump xp is a great idea. having a separate home partition is insurance in keeping data safe when playing with ubuntu.

accooper
March 18th, 2009, 03:12 AM
:D
Thanks For The Info. I have found that Ubuntu is just about bullet proof. Have yet to get Microsoft office 2007 to run in Wine but I am working on it.

Andrew
I belong to the US Tea Party. Don't Laugh all us Texans love ice tea!

Mugzilla
March 18th, 2009, 03:47 AM
:D
Have yet to get Microsoft office 2007 to run in Wine but I am working on it.

There is an article on slashdot.org about making M$ office work with WINE.

Does OO.org not fit your needs? I like it a TON more than the new MS office...

hockeyhead019
March 18th, 2009, 04:03 AM
i've found that although the newest MS office is nice looking OO has supplied everything i need... but if you are looking for some speciality in an area maybe that is why you want to grab MS... or maybe just for the convience of transfering data/papers to other computers... even though you can just save it as a .doc and it works perfectly fine haha

sargeant dread
March 18th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Just keep XP, you never know when you might need a windows program. I love Ubuntu, but the world basically runs on windows at the moment

Garrovick
March 18th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I stayed with dual boot for about four months until I was sure I had every thing sorted out. Made back up CDs in both formats of important documents and only then did I go full out with Ubuntu.

All I need to do now is find a iTunes style podcast downloader that I like to use with my iPod 5.5 video. I still get podcasts, but it's still not the same and not as easy.

So, before you switch, be completely sure you can do with out Windows.

bruno9779
March 18th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I stayed with dual boot for about four months until I was sure I had every thing sorted out. Made back up CDs in both formats of important documents and only then did I go full out with Ubuntu.

All I need to do now is find a iTunes style podcast downloader that I like to use with my iPod 5.5 video. I still get podcasts, but it's still not the same and not as easy.

So, before you switch, be completely sure you can do with out Windows.

I use rythmbox.
Have a look here anyway http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1099403&highlight=podcast