PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Sort! Please, Sort!

rmlrml
March 18th, 2009, 12:41 AM
why can't i just right click on the desktop and select something like "arrange", "sort", or "clean up"???? i can't find any way to enable this anywhere in the settings. machine running fine otherwise.

HELLLLLP!

JoeNZ
July 21st, 2009, 09:11 AM
Did you have any luck with this? I am having the same problem.

masux594
July 21st, 2009, 09:21 AM
I think that this "INCREDIBLE POWERFUL" feature does not exists in gnome[in kde there's somethig similar].. Look so strange but when i searching i can't find some solution.. So sad =( ..

Sysc, A

sullyred
July 29th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I am using Ubuntu on a netbook and wanted to change the sort order of my Favorites. Tried right clicking, but no luck. Found that the sort order could be changed by going through Preferences/Main Menu. Then I selected Favorites from the Menu list on the left. Finally I selected the program I wanted to move and used the Move Up button on the right to move this program higher on the list. Hope this helps... :D

JoeNZ
July 29th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I cannot find Preferences/Main Menu in Xubuntu.

W4l0ck
July 29th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Try desktop settings.

asmoore82
July 29th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Gnome sticks to a Best of Both World's approach.
Your Desktop is always exactly as you arrange it.

To see it sorted, simply view the folder itself: "Places -> Desktop"

After working with it however you need in that folder view,
Your actual Desktop is still exactly as you arrange it :biggrin:!

If you must clean it up permanently, drag the arrangement out of
"Places -> Desktop" on to your Desktop.

Edit: don't know about Xubuntu, though.

JoeNZ
July 30th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Nothing in desktop settings.

JoeNZ
July 30th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Seriously, I think I will go back to Ubuntu. From what I have seen, Xubuntu is basic for older computers (like mine) but too basic for my liking.

Thanks anyway people.

russo.mic
July 31st, 2009, 05:11 AM
I am using Ubuntu on a netbook and wanted to change the sort order of my Favorites. Tried right clicking, but no luck. Found that the sort order could be changed by going through Preferences/Main Menu. Then I selected Favorites from the Menu list on the left. Finally I selected the program I wanted to move and used the Move Up button on the right to move this program higher on the list. Hope this helps... :D

Open nautilus and drag them around in the left bottom pane. That will change the order. Also, you can add new stuff.

ugm6hr
August 1st, 2009, 10:53 AM
Seriously, I think I will go back to Ubuntu. From what I have seen, Xubuntu is basic for older computers (like mine) but too basic for my liking.

If you require this function, then yes - Xfce is not for you.

Xfce (and Gnome) are not really designed for you to use Desktop as a file storage area; I would recommend getting used to using ~/ (i.e. home directory) instead.

While Xfce is often regarded as being for older computers, it is a powerful DE for anyone (I have recently returned to Xfce from Gnome).