PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] username and password

Ramaseko
March 17th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Hi Friends!

I,ve just installed latest ubuntu and everything was fine until on start up the system asked me to enter username and password. I've not set up any username or password so i don't know what to type in. Is there a default usermane and password or what should i do, i'm confused. I can't wait to use my ubuntu.

Thanks!:(

D3ath
March 17th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Hi Friends!

I,ve just installed latest ubuntu and everything was fine until on start up the system asked me to enter username and password. I've not set up any username or password so i don't know what to type in. Is there a default usermane and password or what should i do, i'm confused. I can't wait to use my ubuntu.

When you installed ubuntu why didn't you put in a user or password it give you that option in the install.

you can use:
Press

e
when it briefly pauses before booting. You will then be able to edit the boot options. Go to the end of the line and enter

init=/bin/bash
This will bypass all startup procedures and give you root access.

Run

tail /etc/passwd
identify your username. Your root filesystem will be mounted readonly, so you'll want to run
mount -o remount,rw /
Then set your password with

passwd yourusername

If there is no username just use the command

adduser

this will add a new user for you to login in with will also set the password for the user.

oldos2er
March 17th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Hi Friends!

There's no default username and password. Something went seriously wrong with your installation if you didn't create a username and password.

sisco311
March 17th, 2009, 07:11 PM
When you installed ubuntu why didn't you put in a user or password it give you that option in the install.

No need to edit the grub menu.
Just boot in recovery mode to reset the password.
Step-by-step instructions(with screen shots): http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

D3ath
March 17th, 2009, 07:11 PM
There's no default username and password. Something went seriously wrong with your installation if you didn't create a username and password.

He must have a user name ubuntu wouldn't let the installer proceed without the user name and password. There is something there he just has to find it. and if not those steps should let him create another user without the re installation of the OS.

D3ath
March 17th, 2009, 07:13 PM
No need to edit the grub menu.
Just boot in recovery mode to reset the password.
Step-by-step instructions(with screen shots): http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

Yes the problem is he doesn't know his username. so he either has to find out what it is or create a new user.

Ramaseko
March 17th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Well i've just installed within windows and it did not prompt me to enter any username or password, I swear. I'll try the codes i,ve got from you guys and see if i can login.

sisco311
March 17th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Well i've just installed within windows and it did not prompt me to enter any username or password, I swear. I'll try the codes i,ve got from you guys and see if i can login.

You are asked to enter your user name and password in Windows:
http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/images/wubi02.png

oldos2er
March 17th, 2009, 07:22 PM
He must have a user name ubuntu wouldn't let the installer proceed without the user name and password. There is something there he just has to find it. and if not those steps should let him create another user without the re installation of the OS.

If the install CD is defective, it's possible. This isn't the first time it's happened.

Ramaseko
March 17th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks sisco311 I've used the rocovery console and your step-by-step guide, It's worked Bingo!!!, I'm loving't.

Thanks again:D

D3ath
March 17th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks sisco311 I've used the rocovery console and your step-by-step guide, It's worked Bingo!!!, I'm loving't.

I'm curious. So was there a username u didn't know about? did you guess? How did you do it without knowing the username?

sisco311
March 17th, 2009, 07:28 PM

You are welcome.

BTW, it's aysiu (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=21941)'s guide. :)

sisco311
March 17th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I'm curious. So was there a username u didn't know about? did you guess? How did you do it without knowing the username?

Your home directory name by default is the same as your username. :)

ls /home

D3ath
March 17th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Your home directory name by default is the same as your username. :)

ls /home

gotcha. thats good to know. thanks. :D

theozzlives
March 17th, 2009, 08:11 PM
That's something I did not know, I'll have to save this Thread.