PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrading from ubuntu8.04 to ubuntu8.10

iam_newhere
March 17th, 2009, 02:13 PM
hi, i am a newbie in the ubuntu environment and communtiy.
i just recently installed a ubuntu8.04 using wubi to dual boot to my vista.
turned out to be great with some issues, webcam and wine to play warcraft3 tft.
but anyways here's my question. is it better to upgrade to ubuntu8.10 or to just stay on ubuntu8.04 performance and security wise and everything else considered?

thanks! appreciate your much needed advice!:D

raghavendran_te
March 17th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I would say going to ubuntu 8.10 is good. Generally updates fix up problems, enhance the securities and so on. If your intention is just to play games, 8.04 should be more than enough.

FrostDust
March 17th, 2009, 02:48 PM
In general, you're not missing out on anything critical, but it's still worth it. Being an LTS, there's nothing wrong with sticking with 8.04 unless you're eyeing a new feature/program.

This is a good list of the new things included:
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/intrepid/beta#New%20Features%20since%20Ubuntu%208.04

Also, here are some of the bugs in the new version:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810

One of the bigger issues to be concerned with is, because a new version of Xorg is used in 8.10, some older video cards are no longer supported under the binary drivers, and are switched to using the open-source drivers when upgrading. This equates to not being able to use Compiz, or get high performance for 3D games. Check the second link to see if your card is listed.

iam_newhere
March 17th, 2009, 03:23 PM
wow! thanks! i dont think my intel GMA 950 and intel 82945G can handle ubuntu8.10.

FrostDust
March 17th, 2009, 03:57 PM
wow! thanks! i dont think my intel GMA 950 and intel 82945G can handle ubuntu8.10.

From that thing I linked before, it looks like my caveat about not supporting Compiz only applies to older cards from ATI and NVidia; it only mentions Intel 830 & 845 cards as being incompatible. It doesn't mention anything about the Intel 950, so your setup should be fine under 8.10.

iam_newhere
March 17th, 2009, 09:14 PM
oh okay. sorrry im just a beginner.

to frostdust: what version of ubuntu are you using?

Therion
March 17th, 2009, 09:17 PM
... is it better to upgrade to ubuntu8.10 or to just stay on ubuntu8.04 performance and security wise and everything else considered?

thanks! appreciate your much needed advice!:D
Not trying to throw a wrench in the works but Jaunty is due out in just a couple weeks and from what I have experienced with it over the past month or so, it's going to be one heckuva a good release. Might be worth waiting for.

iam_newhere
March 18th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Not trying to throw a wrench in the works but Jaunty is due out in just a couple weeks and from what I have experienced with it over the past month or so, it's going to be one heckuva a good release. Might be worth waiting for.

is it possible then to skip ubuntu8.10? i mean can i upgrade from ubuntu8.04 to ubuntu9.04?
thanks.

avtolle
March 18th, 2009, 12:55 AM
is it possible then to skip ubuntu8.10? i mean can i upgrade from ubuntu8.04 to ubuntu9.04?
thanks.
You will need to do a fresh install of 9.04. That means downloading the iso, burning it as an image to cd, and then installing it to the partition where 8.04 is presently. Should you want to do a "network" install, then you would first need to upgrade to 8.10 then to 9.04.

OOPS: Just reread your first post where you discuss installing via Wubi. In that case, AFAIK, you would need to do a "network install", which means, as noted above, you would first need to download and totally update 8.10, then go to 9.04. Otherwise, you would need to install Ubuntu on its own partition(s) to create the traditional dual boot case.

FrostDust
March 18th, 2009, 01:41 AM
oh okay. sorrry im just a beginner.

to frostdust: what version of ubuntu are you using?

8.04. The problem I mentioned is the one I'm having. I have an Nvidia Geforce FX 5200, which isn't supported by the new binary nvidia driver that the new version of Xorg in 8.10 uses. If there's some way to upgrade to 8.10 without changing Xorg, then I'd be golden.

iam_newhere
March 18th, 2009, 03:11 AM
You will need to do a fresh install of 9.04. That means downloading the iso, burning it as an image to cd, and then installing it to the partition where 8.04 is presently. Should you want to do a "network" install, then you would first need to upgrade to 8.10 then to 9.04.

OOPS: Just reread your first post where you discuss installing via Wubi. In that case, AFAIK, you would need to do a "network install", which means, as noted above, you would first need to download and totally update 8.10, then go to 9.04. Otherwise, you would need to install Ubuntu on its own partition(s) to create the traditional dual boot case.

so do i have to do a fresh install or a network install?

im really really sorry for asking too many questions im just confused.

thanks again!

iam_newhere
March 18th, 2009, 03:18 AM
and btw i found this site for doing a network install:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation#Server%20and%20network%20installation s

what method should i choose?