PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Compiz uses too much CPU

xtracool_protik
March 17th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Hi guys,
I use compiz a lot and I like it however here is the real deal. Even at idle my CPU uses with compiz running are around 60% :(. Everything seems quite sluggish (I've C2D 2.4 GHz with 8300 stepping + 4GB RAM considering that fact I don't think something should hung up/ slow down). If I keep firefox open overnight then everything goes black next morning (sometimes occurs over continuous usage for 6-7 hrs).
here are few things u may be interested in
1. I use Intel drivers (onboard intel graphics).
2. I use AWN.
3. I've upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 (not fresh install).

Even if u don't have solution let me know if u r having same problem - 1. just wanna know if it occurs for upgrade (so that can try fresh install)
2. if it occurs only for shared memory video
3. or its due to AWN/firefox etc.

If I do fresh install before any reply - will post the outcome

Thanks

thehouseofho
March 17th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Have you tried disabling some of the Compiz add-ons you normally don't use?

I can only assume that since the enabled effects are readily available at a moments notice, they must be taking up some CPU usage. I had some issues with my machine being sluggish when I first installed Compiz, but after I disabled the effects I don't use, I haven't had any problems since.

xtracool_protik
March 17th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Yes I've many things enabled. Will try to disable some and see wat happens.
If I can successfully find out wat was causing the CPU load, I'll update the post

Thanks

xtracool_protik
March 28th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Few days back my xgl driver has been updated. And ya don't keep firefox running - it will go upto 30% and also takes xorg to 30-40%. Otherwise the performance is good. One more thing try not to use KDE application in GNOME environment.