PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu installation goes for 90 min mostly stuck on 90%

dgg9879
March 17th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I've had Ubuntu on my computer before. Now starting again because I had a virus and even though my Windows backup restored I couldn't get the Ubuntu backup to restore (using Macrium Reflect).

I chose the guided resize option since I believe this is the easiest, simply choosing how much of the hard disk to leave for Windows XP and what to allocate to Ubuntu. I gave Ubuntu 10% of the drive which is 35GB.

The installation seemed to go ok until it got to a stage when it said it was configuring the hardware. At this stage it was 90% complete. It stayed on this level for about 80 minutes and since I read it should only take 30 minutes I re-booted and was pleased to see that at least windows still worked.

I didn't bother defragging.

Should I defrag and then try again, this time leaving it on all day while I'm at work?

The first time I installed Ubuntu I used the manual method and managed to stumble through it eventually after having to format and start over again several times.

zvacet
March 19th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Install should not take so long.Did you checked md5sum and after burning check CD integrity?If you get any errors you can download same iso one more time with torrent and point download to the folder where your iso is.That way torrent will just check your iso for corrupted files and replace it with good ones.Check md5sum again and disc itegrity.If all this doesn´t give result try with alternate CD.