PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is Compiz useless?

kilgore9
March 17th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Whats with Compiz anyway? When I first used it I thought it was so cool. But it seems like its only useful if all you want to do is open and close windows and spin the desktop cube around. As soon as I try to actually DO something like watch a movie, play an online game, watch online video, or any other graphical program, the compiz graphics freak out. I now just have all the effects off because it is so incompatible with things I do everyday. On my old mac I was able to use similar effects with no issues... why is compiz so unfriendly???

More of a rant than a question I guess... just wondering what people have to say about it

VCoolio
March 17th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I don't agree, although I must admit I don't have your issues. I think a lot of the possibilities are not very useful indeed, just fun (most animations are) and some of them soon annoying. But some features really improve the usability of my desktop, like window transparancy (especially when using the terminal with the commands I need in a window underneath it, or with moving windows, so I can see where I put them) or window switcher or window thumbnails in the taskbar. The widget layer can be useful, although I don't use it. Well, just my opinion.

P.S. The forum cafe may be a better place for discussing this when you don't really have an outlined problem you want solved.

raul_
March 17th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Some parts of it, yes. Others improve all around usability. The issues you have is because developers of other parts of X can't keep up with the development speed.

Anzan
March 17th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Yes, if you want to get around quickly and get work done.

But if you're reading and posting tweets and such, a spin of the cube now and then or having windows blow up or wiggle is a step up for a few seconds.

But it's good to keep on hand to show to Windows users who wouldn't understand what workspaces are and why they are a sane way to organize the tools you are using and why the fact that their OS simply cannot do that shows that it's broken.

kilgore9
March 17th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Yeah I like the fun factor and show-off factor.. its all really cool and I would have it up all the time if it didn't conflict with so many programs. I just wish there was someway to reconcile the two!

binbash
March 17th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Besides show off fun etc, compiz have really useful plugins.

Yashiro
March 17th, 2009, 08:11 PM
For me it runs faster than any other WM. (modern ati card)
Couple this with sticky rules and fixed position settings, I find it useful.

I do not use the rubbish like the cube and wobbly windows.

drummingpariah
March 17th, 2009, 08:17 PM
My favorite feature (that gnome lacks) is actually something that's been around for awhile in xfce:
dragging between workspaces.

Being able to drag a window onto another workspace seamlessly makes my life much easier. For that reason, I keep compiz on all the time (plus, it gives my mac-using roommates something to feel ashamed about).

Your graphical slowness issues are most likely caused by old/unoptimized video card drivers. Overall, I've found ATI to be pretty useless about drivers in general.

Therion
March 17th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I can't live without having multiple desktops any more... That's a fact. The funky eye-candy though I don't care for; that and Compiz is a real performance drain.

Jaunty is much better than Hardy (I skipped Intrepid) but it's still a drain. I can run it without a "hit" but it bugs me knowing it's draining my system resources.

iKonaK
March 17th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Yes it is but that's nothing wrong, so are games but that dosen't make them less fun....;)

raul_
March 17th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I can't live without having multiple desktops any more... That's a fact. The funky eye-candy though I don't care for; that and Compiz is a real performance drain.

Jaunty is much better than Hardy (I skipped Intrepid) but it's still a drain. I can run it without a "hit" but it bugs me knowing it's draining my system resources.

Are you those guys that have a quadcore for running dwm? Not that there is anything wrong with that :popcorn:

WatchingThePain
March 17th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I wonder too.
I turn compiz off unless I want to spin a cube or wobble windows (teehee).
Babyish or what.
It's like I glue a goose feather to my monitor when I want a chin tickle.

kilgore9
March 18th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Ok iKonak, I guess you really hit the nail on the head for me there. I guess I'll stop complaining about compiz :P. Maybe in future versions there will be better compatibility....I will be patient :)