PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] In Linux, What is a Desktop Environment for? KDE vs Debian?

kayanat
March 17th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I just setup Pardus (distro of Linux), and it uses KDE (K Desktop Environment), I had used Ubuntu before and that uses Debian (I am right?)

So what is the difference between Debian and KDE and does this limit me from using certain applications(programs), does it make anything harder/easier

What are the cons/pros of KDE and Debian (Why are there different Desktop Environments?)

is there a reason for me to switch to Ubuntu (I want to start with a good OS, and Pardus seems to be easier to use, but its easier to find documentation on Ubuntu)

Thanks,

Rinzwind
March 17th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Ubuntu uses GNOME as a desktop.
Kubuntu uses KDE as a desktop.
Ubuntu derives from Debian (both are a Linux based system).

So you are completely on the wrong track.

If you wonder what the differences are between gnome and kde;
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome

So if you want to use KDE with Ubuntu download Kubuntu :)

oobuntoo
March 17th, 2009, 07:42 AM
I just setup Pardus (distro of Linux), and it uses KDE (K Desktop Environment), I had used Ubuntu before and that uses Debian (I am right?)

So what is the difference between Debian and KDE and does this limit me from using certain applications(programs), does it make anything harder/easier

What are the cons/pros of KDE and Debian (Why are there different Desktop Environments?)

is there a reason for me to switch to Ubuntu (I want to start with a good OS, and Pardus seems to be easier to use, but its easier to find documentation on Ubuntu)

Thanks,

KDE is one of many X window managers that provide desktop environments on Linux operating system. Others X window managers are Gnome, IceWM, Fluxbox, Xfce, Enlightenment, Window Maker, and many others. KDE and Gnome are the most widely known and used.

Debian, on the other hand, is one of hundreds of distributions of Linux operating system. Other well known Linux distributions are SuSe, Redhat, and Ubuntu, just to name a few. When you install Debian, you can choose to install any of X window managers as your desktop environment. You can actually install all of them on the same system, but you can only pick one to use (log into) at a time.

So you really cannot compare KDE and Debian; it would be like comparing apples to oranges.

Why are there so many X window mangers? I guess the answer is that people like to have options to choose.

netJackDaw
March 17th, 2009, 09:03 AM
...So what is the difference between Debian and KDE and does this limit me from using certain applications(programs)...

In Ubuntu you can have several desktop environments installed at the same time. So you can have both KDE and Gnome (and Xfce and Enlightenment and...). This also means that you can have applications installed for both environments and run them in whichever environment you like. Means you can run a KDE-application inside Gnome and vice versa.

If you want to install an application made for KDE and have only Gnome installed. No problem, just grab it from the repos (Applications->Add/Remove..) and the package manager will take care of the dependencies for you.