PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Remove Dependencies when Un-installing

Spectre5
March 17th, 2009, 04:06 AM
I have a simple question...when I install something from the repos, there are often dependencies (obviously). So lets say I install a program called AAA and it has 5 dependencies. Then when I go to un-install the "AAA" program for whatever reason, Synaptic only un-installs AAA, but it does not un-install the 5 dependencies (obviously they are not required by anything else if the installation of AAA installed them and nothing else has been installed since).

So how do you make Synaptic remove everything, including dependencies?

Thanks,

zvacet
March 17th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Mark package for total removal(maybe this is not exact but I donīt use English version;besides I think you will understand when you open synaptic).Other option is from terminal

sudo apt-get autoremove

Spectre5
March 18th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Mark package for total removal(maybe this is not exact but I donīt use English version;besides I think you will understand when you open synaptic).Other option is from terminal

sudo apt-get autoremove

I do mark the package for "complete removal" but it still only removes the one package, not the dependencies. I'll try the terminal method next time, thanks.

Any other ideas through synaptic?

Spectre5
March 18th, 2009, 06:32 AM
I do mark the package for "complete removal" but it still only removes the one package, not the dependencies. I'll try the terminal method next time, thanks.

Any other ideas through synaptic?

Looks like these packages end up in Status -> Installed (auto-removable). I think this is what the previous poster mentioned using the terminal.

But still, is there a way to remove them at the same time you un-install another package?

zvacet
March 18th, 2009, 11:52 PM
autoremove
autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically
installed to satisfy dependencies for some package and that are no
more needed.

Look in man apt-get