PDA

View Full Version : Electric Bass Guitar

Audrey Hepburn on Crack
March 17th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I am taking Electric Bass Guitar lessons this Spring and I am in the market for an affordable (under $200) but good electric bass guitar for an absolute beginner, I was wondering if anybody had any good recommendations?

Aesthetically, I like the electric bass guitars with a natural Mahogany finish or other natural wood finish (not just a finish but made of solid wood is preferable).

Is a 4 string or a 5 string electric bass guitar better for an absolute beginner?

I have found some electric bass guitars that have as many as 4 control knobs and some as few as 2; thus my other question: is 2, 3, or 4 control knobs better?

What are some good brands out there for an inexpensive but good (sounding and hold up after time) electric bass guitars?

Also, I am not opposed to a good used electric bass guitar but it seems like that would require considerable in depth knowledge of electric bass guitars that I just don't have.

Any input is greatly appreciated in advance (my apologies for this not being Linux or Ubuntu related).

chucky chuckaluck
March 17th, 2009, 04:14 AM
for a beginner, you can get away with a pretty cheap bass. if you have short arms, you'll want to get something with a little relief in the neck (no rickenbachers, in other words). four string is fine. most of the great bass players stuck with four. nice username, btw. e17 user, i'm guessing?

sgosnell
March 17th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Start visiting pawn shops and trying out basses. Most have at least one or a few, larger ones often have many. You should be able to find one you like, but it could take several visits.

The number of pots depends on the number of pickups and how they're set up. You'll usually find one tone and one volume pot per pickup, so for two pickups the usual setup is 4 pots. It's possible to have only two or three, though, depending on a number of things. Some pots can have two functions, by pulling them up or pushing them down. I prefer one tone and one volume per pickup, but I've built a few instruments with only a volume control, and a couple with no controls at all. I did find that a volume control, or at least a kill switch, is almost a necessity. I tend to run the volume full open, as well as the tone, controlling things with the amp or other devices, but if you put the instrument down, you want to be able to kill the volume, or else you can get sudden feedback. It's possible to pull the cord, but that's far from optimal, since it makes noise going in and coming out, and can cause noise just lying on the floor.

Try out some instruments in music stores and pawn shops, and buy what works best for you. There is no one right instrument, it's a very subjective thing and everyone has a different need.

Audrey Hepburn on Crack
March 17th, 2009, 04:32 AM
for a beginner, you can get away with a pretty cheap bass. if you have short arms, you'll want to get something with a little relief in the neck (no rickenbachers, in other words). four string is fine. most of the great bass players stuck with four.

Thanks for the quick reply affordablilty is key but I was looking for some quality sound also.

nice username, btw. e17 user, i'm guessing?

Thanks, I do dabble a bit but I honestly find myself using OSX over anything else.

I am in search of a good linux distro for recovery of picture files on XP, hence put forth in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1098043

I think I have been given a good solution

Start visiting pawn shops and trying out basses. Most have at least one or a few, larger ones often have many. You should be able to find one you like, but it could take several visits.

The number of pots depends on the number of pickups and how they're set up. You'll usually find one tone and one volume pot per pickup, so for two pickups the usual setup is 4 pots. It's possible to have only two or three, though, depending on a number of things. Some pots can have two functions, by pulling them up or pushing them down. I prefer one tone and one volume per pickup, but I've built a few instruments with only a volume control, and a couple with no controls at all. I did find that a volume control, or at least a kill switch, is almost a necessity. I tend to run the volume full open, as well as the tone, controlling things with the amp or other devices, but if you put the instrument down, you want to be able to kill the volume, or else you can get sudden feedback. It's possible to pull the cord, but that's far from optimal, since it makes noise going in and coming out, and can cause noise just lying on the floor.

Try out some instruments in music stores and pawn shops, and buy what works best for you. There is no one right instrument, it's a very subjective thing and everyone has a different need.

I am not sure what "pots" are? are they the control knobs I see in pictures?

I live in a small community with no pawn shops or guitar stores so I was hoping to buy something online.

Thanks for the quick response also.

chucky chuckaluck
March 17th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Thanks, I do dabble a bit but I honestly find myself using OSX over anything else.

that's more like grace kelly on *****.

Audrey Hepburn on Crack
March 17th, 2009, 04:38 AM
that's more like grace kelly on *****.

Shoot! If I only had the forethought and your originality I would have come up with such a great name!

;)

btw I have found this Electric Bass Guitar online:

Ibanez GSR100EX Soundgear Bass Guitar in a matte traditional Mahogany finish, under $200 and it looks nice, I was wondering if any experienced Electric Bass Guitar players could give me some feedback on this model?

Does it look good for an absolute beginner like myself?

swoll1980
March 17th, 2009, 05:13 AM
My first bass was a Samwick 4 string fender copy, was only $99 new, and did the trick. Hard part is finding a cheap amp that wont sound like crap.

mattshurtleff
March 17th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I've been thumpin on the bass for close to 15 years and Ibanez is far and away my favorite!! I've owned some very nice and expensive basses and by far, regaurdless of price, ibanez wins hands down for me.

I've played that 4 string sound gear ur talkin about in a painted model and it rocks. its not too heavy, very easy to play and sounds great in a variety of musical settings...that's what i like most about ibanez, i think, is the versatility. You can go from Jaco to Claypool without ever changin basses..especially if you spend a couple more dimes for the active electronics(uber tone control).

Ibanez has it all, although i do own a few other brands and each one has its strengths and serve a specific roll in my arsenal, my 6 string ibanez btb is the bass of choice these days.

namegame
March 17th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Thanks for the quick reply affordablilty is key but I was looking for some quality sound...

I am not sure what "pots" are? are they the control knobs I see in pictures?

I've been playing for almost 8 years. With musical instruments, you really get what you pay for. Currently, I own two basses, one cost me $200, the other was $750, the more expensive one is MUCH better in all respects for me, playability, tone, versatility, etc. Learn to play first, worry about tone later...

And the the control knobs control the pots, which make modifications to the circuit in the basses' preamp, which affects tone/volume.

EDIT: Matt, beat me...my more expensive one is an Ibanez, my cheaper one is a Dean, I really like Ibanenez's series of basses. Although my dream bass is a Warwick Thumb (~$3500)

Audrey Hepburn on Crack
March 17th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Although my dream bass is a Warwick Thumb (~$3500)

Warwick make my dream bass also!

sgosnell
March 17th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Pot is short for potentiometer, which is the control underneath the knob. It's the same thing as a volume control on an older radio or TV. It's actually a variable resistor, and changing the resistance changes either the volume or the amount of treble allowed through. The volume and tone controls are identical, they just connect to different parts of the circuit and thus do different things.

I hate buying online, because you don't get to try anything out before you buy, and you get what they send. That said, the best-playing guitar I've ever played is one I bought online, sight unseen, a 7-string DeArmond cheapie. It's a marvelous guitar, and I prefer it to any Gibson or Fender I've ever played. If you intend to buy online, Musician's Friend is where I usually shop. The prices are good, and the shipping isn't crippling. If I were you I would start with a Fender Squier. They're cheap, but usually of decent quality.

cb951303
March 17th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Natural finish is very rare on low-end guitars. My advice, forget about the looks. Believe me, the day you buy it, you will start looking for your next guitar :D So there is no reason to make everything right the first time. Take the best sounding one for your money. Possibly a used one.

BTW, I'm not going to debate active vs passive here but, for bass guitars, you can't go wrong with active pickups. If I were you I would look for a second hand active Yamaha. They make very good quality guitars for the price.

Also this is a good place to start: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/4-string-electric-bass-guitars?N=100001+306313&Ns=P_Price|0&rpp=20
Choose some models, search them in google for reviews, look at ebay etc... BUT don't forget to test play before buying.

nothingspecial
March 17th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Wal - but they`re not cheap.

Number of knobs mean nothing - it`s what they do that counts.

You`re not there to show off. The lead instruments hook you in, the drums make your feet tap - the bass makes you dance :D

bakedbeans4life
March 17th, 2009, 10:55 PM
for a beginner, you can get away with a pretty cheap bass. if you have short arms, you'll want to get something with a little relief in the neck (no rickenbachers, in other words). four string is fine. most of the great bass players stuck with four. nice username, btw. e17 user, i'm guessing?

I love those bass guitars, especially the vintage ones (late 60's, early 70's editions). But they can be a bitch when you have small hands.

Audrey Hepburn on Crack
June 3rd, 2009, 02:17 AM
I love those bass guitars, especially the vintage ones (late 60's, early 70's editions). But they can be a bitch when you have small hands.I agree

snowpine
June 3rd, 2009, 02:28 AM
Late to the conversation... did you end up buying a bass? Which one?

My favorite inexpensive basses are the SX series from Rondo Music. They are solid knock-offs of the Fender styles. I have two. :)

http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

Make sure you have some money left over for lessons with a good teacher. Knowing how to play a cheap bass is better than not knowing how to play an expensive bass. ;)

ps Make sure you join the forums at talkbass.com ... it is the ubuntuforums of bass.

HappinessNow
June 3rd, 2009, 09:34 AM
I like Warwicks.

thisllub
June 3rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
I did some sound work with a band where the bass player had a Warwick.

THe nicest bass I have played was a 60s P-Bass.

A Rick 4001 is the bass I would have if I could.

nothingspecial
June 3rd, 2009, 02:27 PM
As this conversation has come up again, I thought we could turn it into a thread to rival the mighty "Hey, guitar players, lets chat" that I see from time to time on this forum.

There`s probably only 7 or 8 of us but that`s the nature of playing the bass guitar. At least we`re in demand!

So, although we all know the greats - Stanley Clarke, Jaco, Geddy, Flea, etc etc, I thought, as an old git (I`m only 34 but in terms of popular music I`m finished, right?), ...... Who should I be listening to? Who are the great bass players of today? Young upcoming stars. Any genre, including upright bass - damn, I forgot Mingus.

Also let`s have your favourite bass lines, licks and tricks.

And what you play as well. I play Mandolin (ok), Harp (a bit) and piano (ish).

steveneddy
July 2nd, 2010, 04:29 AM
If you are just starting, just get an inexpensive beginner guitar.

Look at Musician's Friend.

Here is a great bass that is in your price range.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-SX100B-Series-II-Bass-Guitar?sku=512278

Volume and tone control is all you need right now - and one pickup.

Just learn how to play and once you get good, invest in a good instrument.

Good luck.