PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install ubuntu on my Vista Acer Aspire 6920

Kai Tempest
March 17th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Hello. I have been wanting to try out Linux for a while now and finally decided to give it a go. I have been looking through forums and google for help but nothing seems to apply to my problem, or it is just full of gobbledegook.

My computer:

Acer Aspire 6920 Laptop
Windows Vista&trade Home Premium SP1
32-bit Operating System

When I go to make a new partition in Vista for the Ubuntu install I have no luck whatsoever. I have currently 2 partitions on my HDD labelled C and D, C having Vista on it and a number of programs, D having my games, music and movies on it. Now I shrinked the D volume and the tried to make a new partition with the free space without success, when I try to make a "New Simple Volume" with the free space I get a warning message saying the following:

"The operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk(s) to dynamic disk(s). If you convert the disk(s) to dynamic, you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(s) (except the current boot volume). Are you sure you want to continue?"

Now I clicked "No" as it seems to me that it will stop my vista install from working but I could be totally wrong as I have too little experience with this.

Another issue is that even when I try to use my D HDD partition to install Ubuntu I go through the steps and it asks "How do you want to partition the disk? Guided - use entire disk or Manual". I checked the guided and it seems that it will take the whole HDD and I would lose vista, the manual way seems the way to go as said by install guides etc but then when I chose the D partition to use which shows as "/dev/sda3" which is NTFS I get a pop-up saying "No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partition menu"

I don't know if the info above is useful or relevant but I don't know what else to try now, I have spent hours looking into this as didn't want to just run to the forums for help but without some help I am just going to have to give up I think as I do not want to risk losing Vista. Any and all help is appreciated and fingers crossed I will soon be using Linux :).

Kai Tempest
March 17th, 2009, 03:33 AM
I just got a little impatient with the whole thing "mainly vista" and decided to give it a go where it askes me if I am sure about going ahead with making a new partition with the unused space I allocated on the HDD. Clicked yes and this appeared in a popup box :(

"Logical Disk Manager

The dynamic disks are not supported by this operating system."

So basically from what I gather, it refuses to allow me to make a new partition which sucks. If I could use the D partition that I already have I wouldn't mind as I would just use that for Ubuntu but I haven't had any luck installing to that partition.

I am probably doing something stupid which is stopping me from doing this but can't figure it out.