PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Monitors [Sorry If Wrong Place To Post]

jtb_90
March 17th, 2009, 01:55 AM
As I run a lot of virtual machine operating systems, I need a lot of room for all of my windows.

At the minute I have a 22" LCD at 1680x1050,lovely resolution nice and big.

What I would like to do though is have 2 monitors, but I'd rather ask questions to the pros than just dive in.

If I connected 2 moniors with native res 1680x1050 would it just be my current GNOME desktop spread [not stretched] across the two monitors or would I have 2 desktops just at the same resolution.

By going about doing this, is this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dual-Video-Monitor-VGA-Y-Splitter-Cable-For-PC-Laptop_W0QQitemZ300297907282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item30029790728 2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1690|66%3A4|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18) what I'd need, besies the 2 monitors?

Also, once I have both monitors connected, what do I do then to enable dual monitor setup in Ubuntu 8.10?

Cheers and sorry if I didn't explain myself well or post the thread in the right place! Forgive me pretty please lol :D

Gilabuugs
March 17th, 2009, 02:18 AM
To have two monitors your video card needs to support two, and by posting that cable as a link I would assume you do not have an extra vga/dvi plug on the back of your video card so I would assume that it would not work for you, just make sure you check to make sure before purchasing a new monitor.

If I am wrong and your video card does indeed support two monitors setup will depend on the type of video card, some you may need to edit your xorg conf, if you have an nvidia card the nvidia-settings can do that for you, and as for what happens with 2 monitors, I have two of different sizes and I have configured as two separate desktops, if you have the same resolution it would work just as well to use something like xinerama which is similar to what MSwindows does with two monitors and allows one desktop spread across the two, I don't have much experience with that though.

Hope that helps.

jtb_90
March 17th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Oh right cool well I only have my onboard graphics card that came with the comp, it's something average like nForce 610i or something. It has the standard blue [don't know the name sorry] port on it, as well as others. If I was going to buy 2 monitors the same, same brand, same model, same size, but both had the same port, would I be able to buy an adapter of some sort to allow me to plus one of the monitors into a different port?

Cheers.