PDA

View Full Version : I got Win7 beta today...

CJ Master
March 17th, 2009, 01:49 AM
And I have to say, it's beautiful. If nothing else, Windows 7 is (arguably) the best looking operating system to date.

I also find that they patched up many flaws (it uses 500megs idiling rather then 1gigs... much lower, still a bit higher then most distros though.) The UAC is much less of a pain now, as you're able to set it to different levels of paranoia :P

The start menu really doesn't look half bad.

http://images.appleinsider.com/windows7-20081028-1.jpg

Clicking on one of those topic icons (as the example here is explorer) it changes the sidepane (rather then just changing it for the all programs menu like Vista.) You also see the new taskbar here. It's one of the most revolutionary changes since Win95. The various launchers, which I belive are called pinned items, can be right clicked into displaying a menu if the program is compatible.

http://media.arstechnica.com/images/windows7/Windows%20Media%20Player%20JumpList.png

Programs that are opened turn into one of those little icons. Click and it'll show you all the windows of that program are running.

http://media.arstechnica.com/images/windows7/Windows%20Taskbar%20Previews.png

My main gripe with it is that it's too easy mistaking pinned items from running windows. Oh, it's also worth mentioning that the notification icons have been hugely improved.

Anyway, feel free to comment on how you enjoyed the beta. (And anybody that says "Winblows" or "M$" will be personally hunted down by my pet chiwawa. You have been warned. Do not mess with Squeaky.)

Bart_D
March 17th, 2009, 01:51 AM
And I have to say, it's beautiful. If nothing else, Windows 7 is (arguably) the best looking operating system to date.....

I have seen it. I haven't used it and I'm already sick of the sight of it. It looks cheap and shiny.

Giant Speck
March 17th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Which build are you using?

CJ Master
March 17th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Which build are you using?

I have seen it. I haven't used it and I'm already sick of the sight of it. It looks cheap and shiny.

Might I suggest changing the aero settings?

Sealbhach
March 17th, 2009, 01:58 AM
It's too much like Vista for me to ever want to look at it.

I have to say though, there are some nice desktop effects on show in this video:

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/video/2234088/windows-first-look

Giant Speck
March 17th, 2009, 02:02 AM

Is there anything remarkably different about 7048 than what was in 7000? I know they cleaned up a bunch of visual things and changed a lot of colors, but I haven't paid much attention to anything else.

bashveank
March 17th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I ran the beta for a couple hours and I was impressed by what I saw. UAC especially had a certain polish that it didn't have in Vista.
The built in apps are also very nice, I have a feeling that more people will be eschewing MS Word for WordPad (which, did you notice, saves in ODT format)

I had to reinstall Vista, though, because Creative doesn't have Win7 drivers for my sound card

Is there anything remarkably different about 7048 than what was in 7000? I know they cleaned up a bunch of visual things and changed a lot of colors, but I haven't paid much attention to anything else.

via winsupersite.com: Save for the ability to remove core components like IE, mostly polish stuff. More desktop wallpapers, more sound profiles, different icons, a bit of UI streamlining in built-in apps, etc....

JackieChan
March 17th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I just don't like how it minimise things as icons. It's really annoying, time consuming, and tedious for me.

bobmatino17
March 17th, 2009, 02:22 AM
too much like kde4, just a bit too much.

Giant Speck
March 17th, 2009, 02:25 AM
too much like kde4, just a bit too much.

Yeah, they probably stole the taskbar from the STasks plasmoid. :lol:

bashveank
March 17th, 2009, 02:31 AM

Which stole it from Windows 1 :p
http://www.georgehernandez.com/h/xcomputers/MS/Windows1screenshot.png

Giant Speck
March 17th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Which stole it from Windows 1 :p
http://www.georgehernandez.com/h/xcomputers/MS/Windows1screenshot.png

Those bastards! ;)

Mehall
March 17th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Can I just point out to everyone:

KDE 4 Win is almost a full replacement shell (they're working on it)

Its bloody sensible by MS to use anything that

1) seems cool and useful and

2) stops giving people a reason to use KDE. They use KDE, then they might end up with Kubuntu or Mandriva or PCLOS on their system sooner rather than later.

orethrius
March 17th, 2009, 02:44 AM

If you could prove that, you could be RICH. :-D

Greg
March 17th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Am I the only one who sees nothing special in Aero, or even the Windows 7 theme? I mean, they're pretty enough with their glass and all, but it doesn't seem unique or remarkable, IMO. It's just... glass. When I use a Windows machine, I tend to set it to the Classic look- I find the transparency isn't worth the performance hit.

koleoptero
March 17th, 2009, 02:50 AM
All these desktop effects promote the use of LSD-like drugs I believe. Everything fades in and out... zooms in and out... makes me dizzy.

frup
March 17th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I can't tell the difference between it Vista and KDE4. As for beautiful... I prefer humans.

Skripka
March 17th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Am I the only one who sees nothing special in Aero, or even the Windows 7 theme? I mean, they're pretty enough with their glass and all, but it doesn't seem unique or remarkable, IMO. It's just... glass. When I use a Windows machine, I tend to set it to the Classic look- I find the transparency isn't worth the performance hit.

Well, and there is a big GUI problem that can arise from transparency---your choice of desktop background.....it can take quite a bit of effort to find a good wallpaper that is EASY on the eyes, that keeps ALL the functions/readouts of a glassy toolbar readable.

st33med
March 17th, 2009, 02:56 AM

Well, of course! Windows are made of glass anyways. Why did you think it breaks easily? :D

CJ Master
March 17th, 2009, 03:19 AM
I just don't like how it minimise things as icons. It's really annoying, time consuming, and tedious for me.

There's an option to turn it off... I love the icons though. Maybe it's just me.

Well, and there is a big GUI problem that can arise from transparency---your choice of desktop background.....it can take quite a bit of effort to find a good wallpaper that is EASY on the eyes, that keeps ALL the functions/readouts of a glassy toolbar readable.

Nope. Task bar works pretty super with any wallpaper imo.

I can't tell the difference between it Vista and KDE4.

I call you officially insane.... I mean, maybe Vista, but Win7? Heck no.

KDE 4 Win is almost a full replacement shell (they're working on it)

Its bloody sensible by MS to use anything that

1) seems cool and useful and

2) stops giving people a reason to use KDE. They use KDE, then they might end up with Kubuntu or Mandriva or PCLOS on their system sooner rather than later.

1) It IS cool and useful and

2) Theres no way in heck an average person knows about KDE. I knew about Linux way before KDE.

I belive that KDE is not nearly as buitiful as Windows7. Though I'm probably a bit biased as I use gnome anyway.

Skripka
March 17th, 2009, 03:23 AM

Especially that digital clock o'er in the corner?

I have several wallpapers that don't work with a digital clock in the taskbar with a glassy bottom panel on KDE4-they wash out white fonts and render the clock unreadable.

CJ Master
March 17th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Well, post the wallpapers and I'll try it out.

Whoops, forgot to say what Giant Speck said below >.<

Giant Speck
March 17th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Especially that digital clock o'er in the corner?

I have several wallpapers that don't work with a digital clock in the taskbar with a glassy bottom panel on KDE4-they wash out white fonts and render the clock unreadable.

There's enough blur going on underneath the taskbar that trying to see the clock is not an issue.

pwnst*r
March 17th, 2009, 03:29 AM
yep, i've got the 64bit version and it's sex. much improved over vista. i'm glad my company is skipping using vista and going to 7.

Skripka
March 17th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Well, post the wallpapers and I'll try it out.

Whoops, forgot to say what Giant Speck said below >.<

Quick example to demonstrate...don't have the paper itself handy without scouring my HDD...

CJ Master
March 17th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Yup, I just tested a completely white background, and it worked like a charm.

Skripka
March 17th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Yup, I just tested a completely white background, and it worked like a charm.

How dare they get it right. I apoligize for doubting them ;)

tad1073
March 17th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Do you know how I can upgrade from 7000 to 7048 of 7057 or which ever is the newest one?

CJ Master
March 17th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Do you know how I can upgrade from 7000 to 7048 of 7057 or which ever is the newest one?

I don't think so. Unless you just want to remove Internet explorer with a passion, I'd wait another release or two.

sarang
March 17th, 2009, 03:42 AM

+1. Haven't used windows in a long time, but most of the 'innovations' they claim look more like GUI tweaks.

Examples: 'Which innovation does bring the release candidate of Windows 7' from http://www.articleinspector.com/articles/2313/1/Which-innovation-does-bring-the-release-candidate-of-Windows-7/Page1.html states things like:

'In the new Superbar, you should be able to place 25 large or 39 small icons before the scrollbar appears.'

'The programs are not able to add their icons automatically into the Superbar after the installation is completed. It happens with userīs drag and drop action.'

Honestly, they all seem to be kind of lame. What happened to WinFS or whatever they are calling it?

joey-elijah
March 17th, 2009, 03:42 AM
I would never call Windows 7 the best looking OS.... picking a random theme from gnome-look would probably be nicer.

It IS nice, however, for Windows. I'm using Windows 7 x64 (have been for months) and it's a very good - if not the best Windows operating system.

If i didn't have to rely on video editing tools (that don't crash or look like their parents were win 3.1 and Mac OS 7...) then i'd be using Ubuntu pretty much 24/7.

I prefer the way my Ubuntu looks and behaves to windows - purely because if i don't like something i can change/tweak/hack it.

I'm glad Microsoft are getting it right with Windows 7 and it'll delight many a user.

Mehall
March 17th, 2009, 04:01 AM
There's an option to turn it off... I love the icons though. Maybe it's just me.

I call you officially insane.... I mean, maybe Vista, but Win7? Heck no.

1) It IS cool and useful and

2) Theres no way in heck an average person knows about KDE. I knew about Linux way before KDE.

I belive that KDE is not nearly as buitiful as Windows7. Though I'm probably a bit biased as I use gnome anyway.

The point I was raising was that, just as you have a free alternative to IE, to Office, etc, etc, there will soon be a free replacement to the windows shell, which will prove especially popular with those not wanting to upgrade *quote* yet once it gets better known.

if M$ make it seem like it was theirs first (which as shown from Win1, it kinda was, lol) then they can have better branding, and less people are likely to use KDE 4 Win. And if less use KDE 4 Win, then they still ahve the regular "switch windows to linux" instead of "hmm.... some backend stuff I rarely messed with has changed, but everything on the front end is the same"

And you are biased :P

I don't mind Gnome per se, it's how insular the devs are, and how ........... brown ubuntu is.

Greg
March 17th, 2009, 04:26 AM
+1. Haven't used windows in a long time, but most of the 'innovations' they claim look more like GUI tweaks.

Examples: 'Which innovation does bring the release candidate of Windows 7' from http://www.articleinspector.com/articles/2313/1/Which-innovation-does-bring-the-release-candidate-of-Windows-7/Page1.html states things like:

'In the new Superbar, you should be able to place 25 large or 39 small icons before the scrollbar appears.'

'The programs are not able to add their icons automatically into the Superbar after the installation is completed. It happens with userīs drag and drop action.'

Honestly, they all seem to be kind of lame. What happened to WinFS or whatever they are calling it?

Postponed and postponed and postponed.

Anyone know how hard it would be to adopt ext3 to Windows?

bashveank
March 17th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Postponed and postponed and postponed.

Anyone know how hard it would be to adopt ext3 to Windows?

There are already ext3 drivers for Windows. Making Windows install to an ext3 partition would be quite difficult, however, as the installer wont load those drivers. However, you could, theoretically, install Windows onto an NTFS partition just large enough for Windows, and then use the rest of the drive as an ext3 partition.

wiggsfly
April 17th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Although the boot times are better than Vista the GUI is just ugly and seems rather amateur looking compared to many other systems. As for the OS itself, for me the jury is still out until I can start testing it in a more demanding environment than just one computer.

CJ Master
April 17th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Well now that you bumped the thread, is it possible to upgrade to a later version of the beta?

Giant Speck
April 17th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Well now that you bumped the thread, is it possible to upgrade to a later version of the beta?

I've been wondering that, too. Because I'm thinking of either installing the newest build (7106) or waiting until the release candidate in May.

zakany
April 17th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Meh. I prefer the look of Vista - then again, it's merely a subjective observation.

wolfen69
April 17th, 2009, 04:30 AM
And I have to say, it's beautiful. If nothing else, Windows 7 is (arguably) the best looking operating system to date.

to me, crunchbang has the best default look.

nothing against win7, but i just don't like it. give me mandriva anyday.

cprofitt
April 17th, 2009, 04:35 AM
woah... can anyone confirm the earlier claim that wordpad is now saving in ODT?

cariboo
April 17th, 2009, 04:45 AM
@CJ Master

I saw something on Technet about MS preferring you do a clean install of the Win 7 RC.

Jim

Giant Speck
April 17th, 2009, 04:51 AM

It's true. It also opens .docx files, albeit with some formatting loss.

inobe
April 17th, 2009, 04:53 AM
or you can make xp look like 7

>>click<< (http://www.itsyourpc.org/duane/files/w7d.JPG)

took about ten minutes to produce that.

init1
April 17th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Eh, it's ok. I like it more than the default XP theme anyway. I still like the clean and simple look of 9x

CJ Master
April 17th, 2009, 05:59 AM

Um, no offense, but that's just horrible.

Yup!

Methuselah
April 17th, 2009, 06:03 AM

I couldn't do anything near to that in a few minutes.
Pretty neat!

inobe
April 17th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Um, no offense, but that's just horrible.

no offence taken, i did that before microsoft released 7 for public testing, it was a wile ago, there has been much improvement since.

Giant Speck
April 17th, 2009, 06:20 AM
It would have been nice if Microsoft had developed all of the new taskbar functionalities and applied them to the Vista taskbar rather than come up with a new design for it.

I guess I'll have to wait for Windowblinds 7 to be released and hope someone comes up with a theme that includes the old taskbar. :)

I mean, it's not bad looking, I just prefer the look of the old taskbar background. It was pretty sleek.

U-Bom-2
April 17th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I need to recognize that Win 7 have a good looking. But i think Ubuntu can be better with a nice Theme. I love glas and transparent thing.

I love Ubunu because i can customizate it how i want and i dont like to colaborate with Bill Gates.. he's the devil for me, he's getting the whole world. But Ubuntu still have a lot of problems for me. In my fully working laptop and newer i can't connect via WiFi, i can't set to Extra or Normal Visual Effects, just None :( I can't install adobe flash player on my Mozilla Firefox, i can't restart it or power the Laptop without press ESC, enter the boot, choose another option and wait like 5 minutes. But with all this problems i want Ubuntu.

I just hope that the Ubuntu 9 come with all or almost all the problems solved because i really want to be 24/7 on Ubuntu and don't have the need of change or go back to Windows.

ade234uk
April 17th, 2009, 06:40 AM

Exactly how I feel. Windows 7 will still ship with the usual security worries, and whats betting you it will just be another lock down when you use it. I am fearful Ubuntu will lose some users to all this gloss and BS when it gets released, but I think Ubuntu has gained so much momentum over the last couple of years I can only seeing each version getting better and supporting more things.

I use Ubuntu because I enjoy the freedoms of an open source system. I came to Ubuntu because I wanted to learn something.
I enjoy not being prompted every 5 mins to update x,y,z because the software is out of date. I enjoy not having to worry about anti virus and knowing my system will still be running fine 6 months later. I like Ubuntu because I can install use on as many machines as I like. I enjoy the fact that I am not contributing to the wealth of some greedy executives. I am glad Mark Shuttleworth does not go on stage and shout DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS or dance around on stage on one big ego trip sweating and saying I LOVE THIS COMPANY, how embarrassing!!

Ubuntu is great. Ubuntu does not need to go around saying "I'M A PC", to the whole world.
Its got to this stage at its own pace, and it is slowly proving it is a viable alternative to Windows.

CJ Master
April 17th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Exactly how I feel. Windows 7 will still ship with the usual security worries, and whats betting you it will just be another lock down when you use it. I am fearful Ubuntu will lose some users to all this gloss and BS when it gets released, but I think Ubuntu has gained so much momentum over the last couple of years I can only seeing each version getting better and supporting more things.

I use Ubuntu because I enjoy the freedoms of an open source system. I came to Ubuntu because I wanted to learn something.
I enjoy not being prompted every 5 mins to update x,y,z because the software is out of date. I enjoy not having to worry about anti virus and knowing my system will still be running fine 6 months later. I like Ubuntu because I can install use on as many machines as I like. I enjoy the fact that I am not contributing to the wealth of some greedy executives. I am glad Mark Shuttleworth does not go on stage and shout DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS or dance around on stage on one big ego trip sweating and saying I LOVE THIS COMPANY, how embarrassing!!

Ubuntu is great. Ubuntu does not need to go around saying "I'M A PC", to the whole world.
Its got to this stage at its own pace, and it is slowly proving it is a viable alternative to Windows.

I run my Windows7 with the basic firewall, Windows Defender, Firefox, and a little smart browsing and I have not been comprimised once. Nowadays with Windows, if you blindly press "Allow" to any dialog box that pops up, you deserve to be infected. Thats like downloading a suspicious file off the Internet in Ubuntu and giving it your password.

Windows7 is more then just gloss and special effects. It has many new leaps and bounds, and is a large step for the better. Like it or not, Microsoft is going to release one of their best Operating Systems ever, and Ubuntu, heck, linux in general will have to actually work hard if we want more market share. Don't expect another "Vista" catastrophy to happen.

Those are great reason to use Ubuntu you listed. I suggest that if you don't like Windows that much, then you probably shouldn't use it. Myself; I duel boot.

Paqman
April 17th, 2009, 09:01 AM
My main gripe with it is that it's too easy mistaking pinned items from running windows.

I found that too. In general I didn't like the taskbar at all. It displays a weird mishmash of panel and dock-like behaviour that wasn't very intuitive.

alexandari
April 17th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Nothing new same old windows crap -_-

Paqman
April 17th, 2009, 09:13 AM

Yes and no. There's a lot of familiarity with previous versions, but there's also a lot of improvements. Having said that, there's nothing in Win7 that would tempt me to use it as my main system.

pwnst*r
April 17th, 2009, 11:52 AM

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1127909

Swagman
April 17th, 2009, 12:46 PM
It's Chihuahua

Move along.

Johnsie
April 17th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I'm hoping to migrate from Ubuntu to Windows 7 when it comes out. Ubuntu has been fun but after nearly 4 years I haven't seen enough change or killers apps being developed to make me want to stay. All of the cool stuff seems to be for Windows and there are more people developing Windows apps.

Paqman
April 17th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I'm hoping to migrate from Ubuntu to Windows 7 when it comes out. Ubuntu has been fun but after nearly 4 years I haven't seen enough change or killers apps being developed to make me want to stay.

You might be quite disappointed by Windows 7 then. It's not really much different from previous Windows releases.

Johnsie
April 17th, 2009, 01:09 PM
No, but the applications are there. Linux application development is slow at best and there's not always a great deal of choice. I'd love it if there were more people developing Linux apps.

haemulon
April 17th, 2009, 01:15 PM
One good thing about Win7 is that MS says that if a program could run in Vista it will run in Win7.

It's true that it doesn't look a whole lot different, but it's easier to adjust the look in this one.

The default Win7/Vista has a cartoonish look I don't like much.

spier
April 17th, 2009, 01:18 PM
am i the only one who sees nothing special in aero, or even the windows 7 theme? I mean, they're pretty enough with their glass and all, but it doesn't seem unique or remarkable, imo. It's just... Glass. When i use a windows machine, i tend to set it to the classic look- i find the transparency isn't worth the performance hit.

+1

all these desktop effects promote the use of lsd-like drugs i believe. Everything fades in and out... Zooms in and out... Makes me dizzy.

+1 ;)