PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Root issue, help!

March 16th, 2009, 10:42 PM
i have ubuntu and i love it but i have a program called "aMsn" and its a windows messenger client for ubuntu but i dowloaded a theme for it but it tells me to go to all the links in the file system and copy them and then i get: "you have no permission to accses or write in the file" even thought i installed ubuntu and i am the main user, and when i try to change the file to be written in i get: "ERROR: You cannot perform this operation, only the owner: root can do this" so i'm like ok.... so i try to logg into root and i get the pasword right but it keeps saying: "your not alowed to logging into adminastrator through this loggon platform" and all i can say is: SON OF A MOTHER F**KING BITCH!!!

please help:

Love:220010497 aka Connan:KS

taurus
March 16th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Even if you are the only user on your system, you are not root. You are just a user who happens to have root privilege. If you need to move something outside your $HOME, open a terminal and run nautilus with root privilege.

gksudo nautilus

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

p.s. And if you have a problem or question, just ask. No need to use that kind of language.

Pastor_JW
March 16th, 2009, 11:27 PM
[QUOTE=220010497;6906614]i have ubuntu and i love it but i have a program called "aMsn" and its a windows messenger client for ubuntu but i dowloaded a theme for it but it tells me to go to all the links in the file system and copy them and then i get: "you have no permission to accses or write in the file" even thought i installed ubuntu and i am the main user, and when i try to change the file to be written in i get: "ERROR: You cannot perform this operation, only the owner: root can do this" so i'm like ok.... so i try to logg into root and i get the pasword right but it keeps saying: "your not alowed to logging into adminastrator through this loggon platform" and all i can say is:

I can understand a new user being very frustrated when first tries to do something in Ubuntu, I was too. This link will give you a way to ease your frustration. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo BTW- If you would try to tame your language a bit I would appreiciate it. Thanks! :)