PDA

View Full Version : Is the "Computer" called "the CPU"?

abhiroopb
March 16th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Is there a conventional name for all parts of a computer OTHER than the monitor and keyboard? When people say "The CPU" they are usually referring to the hard drive, motherboard, PSU, etc. all housed in a case (the usual desktop set-up). Is there another name for this?

Grant A.
March 16th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I just call it "the box", as a CPU refers specifically to the processor.

I think that the correct name may be the mainframe.

Vince4Amy
March 16th, 2009, 10:08 PM
The CPU is the processor, Central Processing Unit.

abhiroopb
March 16th, 2009, 10:14 PM
The CPU is the processor, Central Processing Unit.

Sorry, I don't think I was very clear.

Basically a lot of people (e.g. my mum) use the term "the CPU" when they want to refer to the entire "Box". I understand that CPU stands for Central Processing Unit. However, my question is that whether there is actually another name for all the parts of a computer that go into the "Box".

73ckn797
March 16th, 2009, 10:15 PM
All parts are (hard drive, mother board, CPU, memory,....etc) collectively called the computer.

abhiroopb
I just call it "the box", as a CPU refers specifically to the processor.

I think that the correct name may be the mainframe.

Mainframe? sounds heavy duty...isn't that more of a "server" environment?

FuturePilot
Interesting. I've never heard anyone refer to the entire computer as "the CPU". Usually it's just "the computer"

abhiroopb
March 16th, 2009, 10:16 PM
All parts are (hard drive, mother board, CPU, memory,....etc) collectively called the computer.

nothing more interesting than "computer"?

smbm
March 16th, 2009, 10:17 PM
The base unit maybe? Or just the computer.

abhiroopb

I think when people get a bit more initiated with technology they tend to use whatever phrase they hear. In my families case, I think my mother heard the term CPU, and now prefers using that to refer to the computer.

nyarnon
CPU is simple Central Processing Unit. Though generally used for a processor it is also widespread used to point to a computer, anywhere where there is more then one. Also in retail stores it's used a lot to point to a complete computer.

Twitch6000
March 16th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Well my grandparents always called the box itself "the tower" lol.

I just call it the computer <.<.

abhiroopb
March 16th, 2009, 10:19 PM
The base unit maybe? Or just the computer.

The thing with "computer" is that it seems to be referring to the entire set-up (including monitor and peripherals). Base unit makes more sense, but doesn't really "fit"! Sounds like log. :P

Vince4Amy
March 16th, 2009, 10:19 PM
"The Computer" or as I call them, the Workstation, but I'm including displays and peripherals here.

abhiroopb
March 16th, 2009, 10:20 PM
CPU is simple Central Processing Unit. Though generally used for a processor it is also widespread used to point to a computer, anywhere where there is more then one. Also in retail stores it's used a lot to point to a complete computer.

Exactly, generally people seem to associate "CPU" with a desktop set-up. Asking for a "CPU" will generally point you in the direction of a pre-built desktop.

smbm
March 16th, 2009, 10:20 PM
The thing with "computer" is that it seems to be referring to the entire set-up (including monitor and peripherals). Base unit makes more sense, but doesn't really "fit"! Sounds like log. :P

Fair enough. each to their own etc :D

Base unit is the vernacular down south :D I guess it must be a Midlands thing.

How about the whitey beigey boxy thingy :D

abhiroopb
March 16th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Fair enough. each to their own etc :D

Base unit is the vernacular down south :D I guess it must be a Midlands thing.

Point taken....however, was wondering if there was a industry standard word.

Just a thought I had...and as always ubuntuforums provided the appropriate setting for a discussion on it!

smbm
March 16th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Point taken....however, was wondering if there was a industry standard word.

Just a thought I had...and as always ubuntuforums provided the appropriate setting for a discussion on it!

I dunno, I've heard them called all sorts of things.

73ckn797
March 16th, 2009, 10:23 PM

Only if it IS white!............:guitar:

lykwydchykyn
March 16th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I've seen textbooks use CPU to mean the contents of the case and the actual processor chip interchangeably. I'm not sure to which authority one could appeal to determine the "correct" usage.

I tried to figure this out once because I wanted to write a curriculum for basic computing, but I could never find an authoritative answer.

forrestcupp
I know people who call it the CPU. Everyone I know who calls it that is kind of ignorant and they don't know what a CPU really is.

I've also heard people call it "the tower", which is ok since we're talking about a desktop.

I just call it "the computer" or Masheen.

kidux
A personal computer is the correct term for the whole thing.

Mainframe is old school and was a server type machine.

abhiroopb
March 16th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Funnily enough while the current "CPU" means Central Processing Unit, the phrase "Central Processing Unit" itself could mean the process of using a computer. OK I'm a little tired, so this may not be very clear, but basically the "Box" (as I've temporarily decided to call it) is the Central point for a complete computer (including peripherals). So, perhaps "CPU" is somewhat accurate.

Vince4Amy
March 16th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I commonly use:

PC
Computer
Workstation
System
Machine
Piece of S**t (In the case of fixing a school computer)

ubudog
March 16th, 2009, 10:30 PM
CPU stands for central processing unit so mainly just the processor.

abhiroopb
March 16th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I know people who call it the CPU. Everyone I know who calls it that is kind of ignorant and they don't know what a CPU really is.

I wouldn't necessarily call them ignorant, as there doesn't seem to be a more appropriate definition for the "Box" other than PC (which could mean the computer as whole, including peripherals), computer (as above), system (well this could mean anything and is far too ambiguous), machine (same as system).

abhiroopb
March 16th, 2009, 10:31 PM
CPU stands for central processing unit so mainly just the processor.

Yes but I meant that what if the term CPU is applied more generally to refer to the act of processing information (something which the "Box" as a whole does).

ssam
March 16th, 2009, 10:32 PM
In IT in the UK we were taught that a PC consisted of a VDU (visual display unit), CPU (central processing unit), keyboard, mouse and other peripherals.

but most people say tower, or box, or case.

could always argue that this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Intel_Core_2_Duo_E6300_IHS.jpg
is not a CPU, but a case with a CPU inside it.

or that in
http://images.techtree.com/ttimages/story/95363_nehalem_die_callout.jpg
most of the silicon is not the CPU, but actually storage.

but if CPU means the bit that the processing happens in, then why not call the whole box a CPU

billgoldberg
March 16th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Is there a conventional name for all parts of a computer OTHER than the monitor and keyboard? When people say "The CPU" they are usually referring to the hard drive, motherboard, PSU, etc. all housed in a case (the usual desktop set-up). Is there another name for this?

I've never heard the computer being mentioned as "the cpu".

I either call it "the pc" or "the computer" and sometimes "the vacuum-cleaner".

Therion
March 16th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Is there a conventional name for all parts of a computer OTHER than the monitor and keyboard?
That would be "the computer" or "the system".

Hardware devices that attach TO the computer (e.g. a printer, keyboard, mouse et. al) are peripherals.

The CPU is an essential component of the computer. Using "CPU" to refer to the computer as a whole is simply incorrect usage.

abhiroopb
March 16th, 2009, 10:34 PM
In IT in the UK we were taught that a PC consisted of a VDU (visual display unit), CPU (central processing unit), keyboard, mouse and other peripherals.

but most people say tower, or box, or case.

could always argue that this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Intel_Core_2_Duo_E6300_IHS.jpg
is not a CPU, but a case with a CPU inside it.

or that in
http://images.techtree.com/ttimages/story/95363_nehalem_die_callout.jpg
most of the silicon is not the CPU, but actually storage.

but if CPU means the bit that the processing happens in, then why not call the whole box a CPU

So, it appears that CPU is perhaps the most appropriate term?

abhiroopb
March 16th, 2009, 10:36 PM
That would be "the computer" or "the system".

Hardware devices that attach TO the computer (e.g. a printer, keyboard, mouse et. al) are peripherals.

The CPU is an essential component of the computer. Using "CPU" to refer to the computer as a whole is simply incorrect usage.

That's a fair point. I guess we're stuck with "computer"!

nyarnon
March 16th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I've seen textbooks use CPU to mean the contents of the case and the actual processor chip interchangeably. I'm not sure to which authority one could appeal to determine the "correct" usage.

I tried to figure this out once because I wanted to write a curriculum for basic computing, but I could never find an authoritative answer.

Thats because there is no answer. It is not as much a term aas just a single collection of words. CPU is even used in architecture for kitchen blocks and other places that can be seen as...... a Central Processing Unit.

Now if you would use this answer in your textbook it will cost you a bottle of Gentlemens Jack. :-)

tom66
March 16th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Logic Unit?
Controller?
Machine?
Box?
Desktop?
Logicator Masheen?
Processor?
Data Processor?

forrestcupp
March 16th, 2009, 10:47 PM
How about ALF? Artificial Life Force.

or "The Brains"

Therion
March 16th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Thats because there is no answer. It is not as much a term aas just a single collection of words.
CPU is even used in architecture for kitchen blocks and other places that can be seen as...... a Central Processing Unit.
You're forgetting context.

Out of context "central", "processing" and "unit" mean nothing, neither individually nor collectively.

In the context of a computer, however, "Central Processing Unit" means something very specific.

If you and I were pouring over blueprints for a building the phrase would take on a whole different meaning than if we were sitting down at your kitchen table as we assembled your new computer. Why? Because of context, obviously.

Patrick Snyder
March 16th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I call mine Lola :rolleyes:

sydbat
March 16th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I call mine Lola :rolleyes:Best answer yet!

I have heard cpu used to describe a computer by people who have no idea what 'cpu' actually stands for. These people are almost always trying to sell a computer to me (or someone else that I overhear) and then go on with other techno-babble sounding nonsense.

Personally, I call it 'the box'* or 'the computer'.

*I always call it a computer if the client is female...for obvious reasons...

MikeTheC
March 17th, 2009, 02:35 AM
+1

Interesting. I've never heard anyone refer to the entire computer as "the CPU". Usually it's just "the computer"

Really? I hear it all the time. Worse, I've heard people refer to it as "the modem". There really are some seriously unsavvy and uneducated people out there.

RedSquirrel
March 17th, 2009, 02:54 AM
I've always called it the "system unit". It's even on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_unit), so it must be correct. :)

("base unit" is mentioned there too)

abhiroopb
March 17th, 2009, 03:19 AM
I've always called it the "system unit". It's even on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_unit), so it must be correct. :)

According to wiki this seems to be the most accurate. Now I'm not saying wiki is "inaccurate" but this entry is barely two lines long, and hardly conclusive. But it is definitely the most complete answer I've come across.

THANKS!

wolfen69
March 17th, 2009, 03:37 AM

a tower.

Skripka
March 17th, 2009, 03:38 AM

I've never seen or heard that term used before. On the internet or otherwise, in the US.

lykwydchykyn
March 17th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Really? I hear it all the time. Worse, I've heard people refer to it as "the modem". There really are some seriously unsavvy and uneducated people out there.

Some of the users I take care of at work call it "the hard drive" --which causes no end of confusion when the actual hard drive has problems, and I tell them "I replaced the hard drive" then bring back the same case. Or when they tell me "we have some surplus hard drives for you to pick up", and I go down expecting to carry up a box of maxtors only to find I've got six towers to haul back to IT.

mamamia88
March 17th, 2009, 04:06 AM
i just call it the tower don't know why

Dekkon
March 17th, 2009, 04:17 AM

Really? While I haven't heard it recently, it was certainly something people said all the time, while I didn't correct them, I had the strongest feeling of irritation in my head.

Firestem4
March 17th, 2009, 04:55 AM

I've never heard anyone refer to a computer as a CPU. And personally i'd have to restrain myself from slapping them in the face (metaphorically), for that.

The Computer, as many people have stated, is the generic term when describing a Computer, In its entirety or otherwise.

PC is another term used to describe a computer. (Most notably in conjunction with Windows however, but It is not an exclusive term, just one popularized by Windows.)

A Tower is the generic term for a type of Computer Case. It can or can not refer to the hardware in it, depending on the context.

A Workstation usually refers to a powerful computer meant specifically to perform technical or scientific operations. Sometimes less accurately used to describe a Work or Business computer (Because of it's use, it is meant for more specific applications and not gaming or etc.)

Refer to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computer_size_categories

Cheers

shadowdude1794
March 17th, 2009, 04:58 AM
It's called the tower I think... Mine is so big that I call it the behemoth.

lisati
March 17th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Mainframe? sounds heavy duty...isn't that more of a "server" environment?

The "mainframes" I've used are somewhat larger than "the box" most people have in their home, and typically require an airconditioned room.

It's called the tower I think... Mine is so big that I call it the behemoth.

As I understand it, "tower" sometimes refers to a computer that "stands on end" compared to one which lies flat like a laptop.

Firestem4
March 17th, 2009, 05:09 AM
As I understand it, "tower" sometimes refers to a computer that "stands on end" compared to one which lies flat like a laptop.

The small computers that are lying flat like a laptop are usually called Slimlines.

Towers are actually what it refers to. I think its what you are describing but Tower computers are tall (Mid-Tower, Full Tower, etc) Are upright cases. Most computer cases are Towers.

lisati
March 17th, 2009, 05:19 AM
The small computers that are lying flat like a laptop are usually called Slimlines.

Towers are actually what it refers to. I think its what you are describing but Tower computers are tall (Mid-Tower, Full Tower, etc) Are upright cases. Most computer cases are Towers.

Let's all call it a "system unit" and help avoid ambiguity!
What I think of when I read "tower" is a system unit designed to stand like the one in the picture.

abhiroopb
March 17th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Let's all call it a "system unit" and help avoid ambiguity!
What I think of when I read "tower" is a system unit designed to stand like the one in the picture.

I get the feeling terms like "Tower" and "Slimeline" are more the names of different types of "boxes". I.e. its the model.

Skripka
March 17th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I get the feeling terms like "Tower" and "Slimeline" are more the names of different types of "boxes". I.e. its the model.

Odds are however-MOST folks do not have empty "towers" with nothing in them.