PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble with Resolutions after Monitor Switch

runnir
March 16th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Hey all. Having some problems with my screen resolution, and after much searching have not been able to borrow ideas from other posts to get it done.

I installed using one monitor and that seemed to work fine. I need to switch to a different monitor and when I booted up with it, and my result is a messed up display, with all horizontal lines where it looks like the vertical sync is wrong. The login screen displays in a beautiful resolution, but as soon as it goes to resize it after login, I get the line problem.

I used

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

to no avail.

Looking at my xorg.conf file, I noticed there's not that much too it, it doesn't recognize the graphics card (whatever's on a Dell Dimension L886R.)

Here it is:

Section "Device"

Identifier "Configured Monitor"
End Section

SubSection "Monitor"

Identifier "Configured Monitor"
End Section

Section "Screen"

Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

I've tried editing it, but it always says that it can't parse it, and I can get in under low-res settings.

I've also tried the Hardware Drivers under Administration, but I don't see any drivers at all.

runnir
March 17th, 2009, 03:50 PM
So, I've managed to fix it, after a fashion.

Because I had a nearly clean install, I simply reinstalled it with the new monitor attached. This has resolved the problem.

It seems like the monitor and graphics card were configured during install. I think I'm too much a n00b right now to understand how Ubuntu is interacting with xorg.conf. I do worry that the next time I need to change a monitor, I'll have problems again.

Anyways, solved for the moment.