PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Quick question about ntfs-3g and dmraid for mounting my raid 1

Spazghost
March 16th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Hello,

I'm upgrading my raid 1 tommorrow for more storage space, and want to also set it up so I can use it in Ubuntu.

I've read some threads about using ntfs-3g to read/write to an NTFS partition, as well as some threads about setting up a fakeRaid with dmraid. But I'm curious if it is possible to do both of these to accomplish what I want.

Basically what I'm going to have is 1 320GB HDD that I'm going to use for windows, 1 320GB HDD that I'll use for Ubuntu, and a 1 TB RAID 1 that'll be NTFS for data storage.

If I want to setup the RAID 1 so that I can access it in Ubuntu, do I need to setup dmraid and then format it NTFS within Ubuntu?

Or would it be possible for me to format and copy my data to the raid within Windows, and then once I get Ubuntu setup, setup dmraid and mount the raid 1 without having to format the disks?

Thanks

Spazghost
March 16th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Bump.

I posted this on Overclock.net as well, and was told that I should be able to install Ubuntu to the 320GB HDD, activate dmraid and install ntfs-3g and mount and use the my NTFS RAID 1 with no problem... Can anyone here confirm that?