PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] to dual-boot or not to dual-boot

zpweston
March 16th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Ok so i am going to make the jump to linux ubuntu 8.10, I have been playing with the livecd just to see what i thought and i like it but before i download it i just want to know if i should dual-boot with windows vista or not, and what the pros and cons are for both sides; dual-booting and lone ubuntu?
Let me know

Therion
March 16th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Only you can answer this; there is no right or wrong answer for everyone. My first reaction is... If you need to ask the question, chances are you should dual-boot.

How familiar are you with Ubuntu, both it capabilities and its limitations? Do you require any Windows-specific applications, and if so how prepared are you prepared to look at alternatives? Generally speaking how prepared are you to dig in, roll up your sleeves and attack any problems that may arise?

zpweston
March 16th, 2009, 05:26 PM
More or less what i want to know is there any reason to keep windows? I don't use windows for anything but the internet, itunes, and a couple of editing software. I have no important files and this is my private computer. I really want to become more computer savvy, and I really like the way ubuntu works. I have also already looked up alternatives for all my favorite programs and i like everyone. I just need to know if I should keep windows at all? Is there any positives to it?

zpweston
March 16th, 2009, 05:32 PM
More or less what i want to know is there any reason to keep windows? I don't use windows for anything but the internet, itunes, and a couple of editing software. I have no important files and this is my private computer. I really want to become more computer savvy, and I really like the way ubuntu works. I have also already looked up alternatives for all my favorite programs and i like everyone. I just need to know if I should keep windows at all? Is there any positives to it?

jjgomera
March 16th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I think all noobs may start with dual boot, only when you realise you dont use windows you can delete windows

I start so, and two months later i delete windows and format its partition to ext3 for date partition

Therion
March 16th, 2009, 05:57 PM
More or less what i want to know is there any reason to keep windows? I don't use windows for anything but the internet, itunes, and a couple of editing software. I have no important files and this is my private computer.
In that case it sounds like you're pretty much ready to let go of Windows. There are alternative, open-source applications that you can use for what you've listed.

I really want to become more computer savvy, and I really like the way ubuntu works. I have also already looked up alternatives for all my favorite programs and i like everyone. I just need to know if I should keep windows at all? Is there any positives to it?
The only positive to keeping a Windows partition that I see, is having access to Windows for some application for which there is no open-source alternative. Even then you can always install Vista in a Virtual Machine using Virtual Box or VMWare.

So, in short and based on what you're telling me, I'd say go for it. Backup any important data, install Ubuntu, say goodbye to Windows and let the adventure begin.