PDA

View Full Version : Turn off gcc optimizations

g3k0
March 16th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Hey,
Does anyone know how to turn off gcc optimizations? I was reading some google sites but they were talking about both compiling and assembling. I am just compiling with the -S option to get the assembly code it produces.
for instance in my C program I will multiply 7*5, is it possible to have it not put 35 in the assembly code automatically?

CptPicard
March 16th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Try the -O0 flag

g3k0
March 16th, 2009, 02:26 PM
It still says 35
Here is my .c

void mulme(int num) {
int a,b;
a=5*7;
b=2;
}

Here is my .s

.file "test.c"
.text
.globl mulme
.type mulme, @function
mulme:
pushl %ebp
movl %esp, %ebp
subl $16, %esp
movl $35, -4(%ebp)
movl $2, -8(%ebp)
leave
ret
.size mulme, .-mulme
.ident "GCC: (Ubuntu 4.3.2-1ubuntu12) 4.3.2"
.section .note.GNU-stack,"",@progbits

Variables aren't declared, 7 and 5 are multiplied :( Maybe these optimizations are too basic to be removed?

Habbit
March 16th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Variables aren't declared, 7 and 5 are multiplied :( Maybe these optimizations are too basic to be removed?

Your "problem" is that gcc will resolve operations on compile-time constants whenever it sees them, and in particular an operation on two numbers is always expanded if it does not cause precision loss compared to the CPU-provided opcode.

You want to compile something like this with -O0 just so gcc does not get any ideas:
void mulme(int num) {
int a = 5, b = 7;
a *= b;
b = 2;
}

.file "test.c"
.text
.globl mulme
.type mulme, @function
mulme:
pushl %ebp
movl %esp, %ebp
subl $16, %esp
movl $5, -4(%ebp)
movl $7, -8(%ebp)
movl -4(%ebp), %eax
imull -8(%ebp), %eax
movl %eax, -4(%ebp)
movl $2, -8(%ebp)
leave
ret
.size mulme, .-mulme
.ident "GCC: (Ubuntu 4.3.2-1ubuntu12) 4.3.2"
.section .note.GNU-stack,"",@progbits

lloyd_b
March 16th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I believe that it *is* too basic. The compiler is seeing "5 * 7", and saying "I'll go ahead and do the math, and save some trouble at runtime".

What you could do instead is use some intermediate variables:
int a,b;
int c = 5;
int d = 7;

a = c * d;
b = 7
With "-O0", this will actually force the program to do the "imull" to multiply them at runtime...

Lloyd B.

CptPicard
March 17th, 2009, 02:54 AM
If you think of it, if you expected the literal multiplication expression to actually be broken up into two separate values in registers, the compiler would have to actually introduce those variables from nowhere, and that really is no longer a non-optimization but in a sense rewriting of the program...