PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows XP / Ubuntu / Windows 7

JG53_Jaguar
March 16th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Hi All,

I have 2 partitions on my hard drive on my laptop, the primary partition is for Windows XP and the other is for Ubuntu. I got the beta version of Windows 7 (Build 7022), so I dropped the Ubuntu partition and on that partition I installed Windows 7. So I can now dual boot to Windows XP and Windows 7...at some point in the near future I would like to drop the Windows 7 partition and install there Ubuntu again...can I do this without loosing the Windows XP partition?

Thanks for your help!

mhgsys
March 16th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Well you could remove the windows 7 partition with a live cd, using gparted.
Or you could use the partitioner which will load during install.

And install ubuntu again on that partition

JG53_Jaguar
March 16th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Well you could remove the windows 7 partition with a live cd, using gparted.
Or you could use the partitioner which will load during install.

And install Ubuntu again on that partition

That's cool, thanks for your help! I just though that perhaps 8.10 would not be able to figure out the boot sector since 8.10 would know how to handle Windows 7 but I guess Windows 7 is essentially windows Vista...

thanks again!

theozzlives
March 16th, 2009, 02:50 PM
That's cool, thanks for your help! I just though that perhaps 8.10 would not be able to figure out the boot sector since 8.10 would know how to handle Windows 7 but I guess Windows 7 is essentially windows Vista...

thanks again!

It should've been Vista SP2

mhgsys
March 16th, 2009, 03:13 PM

thanks again!

ehmz,
It doesn't seem to matter if 8.10 would know how to handle vista bootloader
Important thing is that it can recognize the partition, because that's what you want to remove right?

JG53_Jaguar
March 16th, 2009, 03:22 PM
ehmz,
It doesn't seem to matter if 8.10 would know how to handle vista bootloader
Important thing is that it can recognize the partition, because that's what you want to remove right?

Yes correct, essentially I just want to make sure that Ubuntu 8.10 will recognize XP being on primary partition ( I will drop the Windows 7 partition from XP disk manager before I install Ubuntu 8.10) and then modify the boot parition and install to boot loader I'm hoping that Windows 7 won't leave some stuff behind that will confuse Ubuntu 8.10

mhgsys
March 16th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Yes correct, essentially I just want to make sure that Ubuntu 8.10 will recognize XP being on primary partition ( I will drop the Windows 7 partition from XP disk manager before I install Ubuntu 8.10) and then modify the boot parition and install to boot loader I'm hoping that Windows 7 won't leave some stuff behind that will confuse Ubuntu 8.10

Well.
If your gonna format the partition windows 7 won't be able to leave anything behind.
8.10 will detect XP.

Mark Phelps
March 16th, 2009, 05:25 PM

Since you installed Seven after XP, it most probably wrote its boot loader files to the XP partition -- which will remain there after you remove Seven.

But, given that you're going to install GRUB either to the MBR, or to the Ubuntu partition, that won't present a problem to Ubuntu. It may, however, present a problem when you try later to boot back into XP.

JG53_Jaguar
March 17th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Since you installed Seven after XP, it most probably wrote its boot loader files to the XP partition -- which will remain there after you remove Seven.

But, given that you're going to install GRUB either to the MBR, or to the Ubuntu partition, that won't present a problem to Ubuntu. It may, however, present a problem when you try later to boot back into XP.

Thanks a lot Mark, I appreciate your input!