PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] effect will not Work

milesukaoma
March 16th, 2009, 01:19 PM
i have a ibm think pad r32 my specs are:
processor intel mobile pentium 2.0Ghz
Memory-512 ram
Grapics-16Mb Radeon 7000 ATI Mobility chipset

Is it possible for me to get any effects onto my laptop using compiz or 3d environments anything sorry im new to ubuntu 8.04

mhgsys
March 16th, 2009, 01:51 PM
first off all:

try >system>administration>hardware-drivers to see if ubuntu can find the drivers automatically.

milesukaoma
March 16th, 2009, 02:05 PM
i did and it said no proprietary drivers are in use on this system.. so what do i do from this point

mhgsys
March 16th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I could tell you, but it would be easier to read this

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Hardy_Installation_Guide#Method_1:_Install_ the_driver_the_Ubuntu_Way

milesukaoma
March 18th, 2009, 04:58 AM
well i did this and it completly corrupted my Os. does anyone know if my graphics card is even supported

overdrank
March 18th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Grapics-16Mb Radeon 7000 ATI Mobility chipset

Is it possible for me to get any effects onto my laptop using compiz or 3d environments anything sorry im new to ubuntu 8.04

anyone know if my graphics card is even supported

Hi and I have the same graphics card with Hardy and the effects work ok, but with 16mb of memory I do not think it will work. If you can increase the amount of memory then you may have a shot with Hardy 8.04

milesukaoma
March 18th, 2009, 05:10 AM
So is there a way to increase the memory on my graphics card

overdrank
March 18th, 2009, 05:25 AM
So is there a way to increase the memory on my graphics card

Some laptops will allow you to adjust the memory in bios and others will automatically adjust when the system amount is increase to the max. You will need to look at the specs of the system also. As for swapping graphics cards you will need to look at the specs again.

milesukaoma
March 18th, 2009, 04:10 PM
how do i get to the bios can i do that from within linux or do i have to do it upon boot?? thanks in advance

Vesperatus
March 18th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Upon boot. Usually by pressing F2 or the Delete key.
But be carefull once in there. You can screw up things pretty easily. Just take your time until you find the graphic settings.

milesukaoma
March 19th, 2009, 02:31 PM
well i got into the bio with f1 and there were know graphic settings unless im missing something. but anyways here is what i am trying to do now. i would like to know if this is possible. i have a presario v6000 laptop but the motherboard on it circuited. so i have a NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 (UMA) graphics card just sitting it which cant be used.Can i take the graphics card from the presario and put it into my r32 ibm thinkpad?? anythough suggestions of how to get stated.. thanks

mhgsys
March 25th, 2009, 01:11 PM
well i got into the bio with f1 and there were know graphic settings unless im missing something. but anyways here is what i am trying to do now. i would like to know if this is possible. i have a presario v6000 laptop but the motherboard on it circuited. so i have a NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 (UMA) graphics card just sitting it which cant be used.Can i take the graphics card from the presario and put it into my r32 ibm thinkpad?? anythough suggestions of how to get stated.. thanks

Your talking about a laptop video card ..
You actually want to replace the on board chip with another on board chip?

Thats something I never seen end happily and I don't think it's possible.