PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems installing Ubuntu 8.10 on AMD 1.6 system

tony1212
March 16th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Hi

I’ve recently been given several PC towers with Asus AMD MB’s and 1.6GHz CPU. Hardware is fine and I have been able to do a full install of WinXP on then system without problem. When I have tried to install Ubuntu 8.10 it hangs half way through the install and gives an error message that says the CD disc is corrupt or the optical drive needs a clean. I can get 8.04 to install but not 8.04.2 so its taking an age with all the updates. I’m running 8.10 on my P4(D)3.4Gig PC and have been using Ubuntu for a while now generally without a hitch. As these PC’s do not have a windows CoA and I plan to give them away on Freecycle I really wanted to get them up on 8.10. anyone any idea what the problem is or is it just that the hardware is not compatible with 8.10. This problem seems to affect all distros based on 8.10 apart from PCOS.

Anyone got any idea how I can resolve this. I would still class myself as a beginner with Linux but I’m not afraid to get down and dirty in a terminal if it helps.

Thanks Tony

dandnsmith
March 16th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I don't know what it is with linux and installing from CDs, or using them as live CDs. I've had ones which work on one PC, but not another - and then, if I put it on a USB stick it then works.

I suspect there are timing intolerances with some drives, which show more for some releases than others.

I've used Ubuntu 8.10 as a live CD with an Asus board and AMD CPU with no problems.