PDA

View Full Version : Seperate WINE Prefix for certain apps ?

killpotts
March 16th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I have seen several instances where certain apps benefit from being installed under a seperate Wine prefix so that it can be wiped/rebuilt without affecting other programs ( Namely apps that tend to either botch up the registry with errors, or have a 30 day trial limitation but the activation doesn't work in WINE so you can't buy it and need to wipe everything if you want to use it again, or need conflicting settings. )

But I have never seen any explanation on how exactly this can be done. Does anyone know ?

killpotts
March 16th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I tried to do it as this page explains with no luck:

http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/WINEPREFIX

Problm is it really isn't very concise. I tried the command it gave ( # export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine-wow/ ) But it did not do anything.

I'm in need of some kind of instruction/tutorial that is a bit more explanatory and in steps then just "Poop this into your konsole/terminal, recompile something, and hope it works"

Any help would be appreciated. :popcorn:

cogadh
March 16th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I don't know why people insist on doing that export stuff, it's not necessary and there is an easier way to do it. To create a new prefix, just run this (make the prefix name anything you want):

wineprefixcreate ~/.newwineprefix
When you want to use that prefix to do anything, including configuring it, you need to specify the prefix in the command:

WINEPREFIX=~/.newwineprefix winecfg
WINEPREFIX=~/.newwineprefix wine foo.exe
WINEPREFIX=~/.newwineprefix wine uninstaller
That's really all there is to it.

killpotts
March 16th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Ahh, that makes a lot more sense then what they are saying...but it did not work.

I did this:

wineprefixcreate ~/.Winetwo

It gives me this error:

Unknown option /home/Potts/.Winetwo
Usage: /usr/bin/wineprefixcreate [options]

Options:
-h, --help Display this message
--prefix <dir> Directory to create (default: $WINEPREFIX or ~/.wine)
-q, --quiet Don't print status messages
-w, --wait Wait for the wineserver to exit before returning

Not sure what to do next.

cogadh
March 16th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Crap. Sorry about that, I'm an idiot today. The command to create it should be:

wineprefixcreate --prefix ~/.Winetwo
I also realized I made a mistake on how to use the new prefix once created, I left out "env" on the command, so the samples should actually look like this:

env WINEPREFIX=~/.newwineprefix winecfg
env WINEPREFIX=~/.newwineprefix wine foo.exe
env WINEPREFIX=~/.newwineprefix wine uninstaller
Sorry for the confusion, I blame it on my lack of sleep.

killpotts
March 17th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Ahh, I should have gotten that on my own. :P

I managed to create the Prefix and get it all working, but ran into a related problem when actually installing the piece of software I need to do this thing for. I need to install a winetricks in order to get it working, so I tried:

WINEPREFIX=~/.Winetwo wget http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks && sh winetricks msxml3

And the installer for that came up and ran ( It's an XML extension )...but upon reviewing its actions I found it is installing into the normal /.wine prefix. :(

Should it be ok ?

cogadh
March 17th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Nope, you need to use that "env" command that I missed earlier in order to make winetricks install the stuff in your new prefix:

env WINEPREFIX=~/.Winetwo sh winetricks msxml3

killpotts
March 17th, 2009, 01:36 AM
That managed to work. For some reason I had to type exactly what you had and drop the Wget.

cogadh
March 17th, 2009, 01:58 AM
the "wget" is just a terminal comand to download something from the web, in this case, the winetricks script. Since already did that the first time you ran the command, you don't need to do it again.

binbash
March 17th, 2009, 11:01 AM
playonlinux does this easily.You do not need to mass with codes : )

Morganvd
April 3rd, 2010, 06:56 AM
I seem to be having a lot of trouble with playonlinux steam works download counter strike and it bombs. I want to try create my own prefix

alexthunder
May 29th, 2010, 07:21 AM
I have problem using 2 wineprefixes.

When I go to /home/user/.wine3/drive_c/Program Files/Folder_Two and launch the program info.exe, everything works fine.

Also if I cd to the directory and launch the program

cd "/home/user/.wine3/drive_c/Program Files/Folder_Two"
env WINEPREFIX=/home/user/.wine3 env 'LANG=ru_RU.utf8' wine info.exeeverything works fine

However if I launch it like this:

env WINEPREFIX='/home/user/.wine3' env 'LANG=ru_RU.utf8' wine 'c:/Program Files/Folder_Two/info.exe'I get the program c:/Program Files/Folder_One/info.exe from /home/user/.wine launched.
This is really weird, because I don't have Folder_Two in /home/user/.wine and i don't have Folder_One in /home/user/.wine3
What am I doing wrong?

cogadh
May 29th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I'm not sure it really matters, but it could be your use of ' instead of ".

alexthunder
May 30th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I'm not sure it really matters, but it could be your use of ' instead of ".
Thank you. I've tried every possible combination of ' and ". At first I was using " for the file path, but it wasn't working.

Morganvd
July 24th, 2010, 12:20 PM
For WINEPREFFIX i found a niffty little app her on the forum called GWINE that creates bottles and intergrates with winetricks.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1346038&highlight=gwine

Has been a great help

Elcivor
September 6th, 2010, 11:58 AM
sorry for necro-posting..

so how do I install a game via a dvd and let it install into that prefix?

schtufbox
September 6th, 2010, 02:29 PM
sorry for necro-posting..

so how do I install a game via a dvd and let it install into that prefix?
Open a terminal at the dvd.

env WINEPREFIX=~/.newwineprefix wine setup.exe

Replacing .newwineprefix with whateve ryour prefix is called and setup.exe with whatever the installer is called.

If it's an MSI file then try

env WINEPREFIX=~/.newwineprefix wine msiexec /i setup.msi
again changing .newwineprefix as appropriate and setup.msi to the actual msi file.

thed0ctor
April 6th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Hey I'm trying to run the wineprefixcreate command but it says unknown command... Am I missing something?

Toz
April 6th, 2012, 09:40 PM
It's deprecated. See: http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/Wineprefixcreate. I believe it is now run automatically when a prefix that doesn't exist is referenced (as per instructions on post #17).