PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu IS NOT FREE!

Dekkon
March 16th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Sorry for title, but recently I was questioned for my use and other peoples use in Ubuntu.

They said, Ubuntu isn't free, you either have to help develop, or benefit the community, or you can be a peice of crap freeloader and take anything.

Isn't that a little harsh? I thought Linux was free, free to use, free as in freedom, why am I pressured into developing, or helping. While I do submit bugs into KDE and Ubuntu, I feel as other non-technical users should not have to go through that.

Discuss.

*Finding post now*.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6889188&postcount=20

Grant A.
March 16th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Pressure is the reason why I have several [WIP] prefixed pixel art topics sitting around The Mana World's forums. :P

Horrible attitude, especially when you're trying to say Ubuntu is ready for the average computer user.

Bug reporting and contributions are graciously accepted, but not mandatory. Just carry on with your Ubuntu usage and don't mind them. They probably just want to get you angry.

PS: Your name is oddly similar to the Esperanto word for thank you, "Dankon". :)

matthew
March 16th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Free software is free as in freedom--that means you can use it without owing anything, including development, etc. The poster in the other thread was either misinformed or just plain rude. I apologize for the incident.

Feel free to report posts like this in the future. Starting a thread to discuss it isn't necessary and doesn't help the problem as much as letting staff deal with bad attitudes.