PDA

View Full Version : Linux/windows networking project

YoungQuiz
March 16th, 2009, 02:11 AM
ok so i have a project in one of my final classes for this quarter. its to interoperate and share resources with BOTH windows server 2003 and XP pro. my school pretty much tries to force fedora on us,but im more comfortable using ubuntu. so my question is: is Ubuntu good enough for me to interoperate and share resources with Windows boxes? should i use ubuntu server? or is the desktop good enough to work with in this project? i look at it as school work but also learning to use my linux box profesionally as well.

this progect is 45% of my final grade!! ahhhh

so im just looking for some feedback on this matter use fedora or use ubuntu?

and do i have to download ubuntu server? or can i just add the server utilities to my ubuntu desktop??

if you have tutorial links i can accept those aswell!

thanks in advance

jflaker
March 16th, 2009, 02:18 AM
ok so i have a project in one of my final classes for this quarter. its to interoperate and share resources with BOTH windows server 2003 and XP pro. my school pretty much tries to force fedora on us,but im more comfortable using ubuntu. so my question is: is Ubuntu good enough for me to interoperate and share resources with Windows boxes? should i use ubuntu server? or is the desktop good enough to work with in this project? i look at it as school work but also learning to use my linux box profesionally as well.

this progect is 45% of my final grade!! ahhhh

so im just looking for some feedback on this matter use fedora or use ubuntu?

and do i have to download ubuntu server? or can i just add the server utilities to my ubuntu desktop??

if you have tutorial links i can accept those aswell!

thanks in advance

Ok, lets cover server vs desktop. Not much of a difference except server is absent of the GUI, which can be downloaded. I would get server and download the desktop rather than desktop and figure out what is missing.....

I don't think there is a difference really, Fedora is more of a long term between releases where Ubuntu is more cutting edge except for LTS.

Try it first with Ubuntu Server, if you have issues, then go get Fedora....Ubuntu will take about 15-30 minutes to install so no real time lost there.

It should all work, it may be they are pushing Red Hat because that is what they know of.

YoungQuiz
March 16th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Ok, lets cover server vs desktop. Not much of a difference except server is absent of the GUI, which can be downloaded. I would get server and download the desktop rather than desktop and figure out what is missing.....

I don't think there is a difference really, Fedora is more of a long term between releases where Ubuntu is more cutting edge except for LTS.

Try it first with Ubuntu Server, if you have issues, then go get Fedora....Ubuntu will take about 15-30 minutes to install so no real time lost there.

It should all work, it may be they are pushing Red Hat because that is what they know of.

ok thanks, so adding the desktop to server would be easier than adding server to desktop hmm. ok i will try to do it that way.

the ubuntu desktop is capable of networking with windows by itself right?
just add samba right?

bsharp
March 16th, 2009, 04:16 AM
If I were you I would ask if you have to use Fedora. It would suck to fail something that is 45% of you final grade because you used Ubuntu instead of Fedora.

YoungQuiz
March 16th, 2009, 04:23 AM
If I were you I would ask if you have to use Fedora. It would suck to fail something that is 45% of you final grade because you used Ubuntu instead of Fedora.

i asked the instructor said its fine,just that im on my own if i use ubuntu

so im good on that part. it's a challenge imma take:D

YoungQuiz
April 11th, 2009, 11:12 PM
just updating this....i got my server up and successful
was abled to network and share with windows server 2003 and xp pro
create users and set permissions for users. i used samba and created a web page with apache 2

i got an 97% on the grade.

thanks for the help and advice fellas

toupeiro
April 11th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Both ubuntu and Fedora do a good job at talking to windows using windows protocols, in fact almost all the guessworks been taking out of it. If I were a professor weighing in a project at 45% of your grade, I'd make it a bit more challenging.. like: Make windows server and Windows client talk to linux using native linux protocols and filesystems. :P

inobe
April 11th, 2009, 11:57 PM
youtube ubuntu server

youtube samba ;)

you would be amazed on the information you can see and hear.