PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Creating bootable Windows XP USB Drive in Ubuntu

gotm
March 16th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Hello,

I am running Ubuntu 8.10. I am trying to create a bootable Windows XP USB Drive so I can install Windows XP back on my system, and then in turn install Ubuntu back again as a dual boot instead (right now I am only running Ubuntu fully).

How do I do this? I know I can create a bootable Windows XP USB Drive while in Windows but is there a way to do it from within Ubuntu? Creating an Ubuntu one is easy, as this is how I installed my current Ubuntu in the first place (a lot faster and easier I might say).

I have a copy of Windows XP currently on my system in .ISO format.

Can anyone help?

-GOTM

kseunder84
August 3rd, 2009, 08:51 PM
I would also like to know how to do this

huggies15
August 3rd, 2009, 10:50 PM
try using unetbootin.
I think its in the repos, but if not im sure a google will sort u out. It can burn any iso image to a usb stick... just follow the instructions and its easy (my mum managed to do it with me on the phone for her once so it cant be too hard :) )
Steve

Mark Phelps
August 4th, 2009, 04:20 PM
According to their launchpad page, Unetbootin is only for creating bootable Linux versions, not for MS Windows versions. But, if someone is willing to try it, that would be worth knowing that it works.

kseunder84
August 9th, 2009, 07:31 PM
According to their launchpad page, Unetbootin is only for creating bootable Linux versions, not for MS Windows versions. But, if someone is willing to try it, that would be worth knowing that it works.

Tried, it does not work with windows.

OtisPrettyman
February 9th, 2010, 03:32 AM
I wish topics like this wouldn't die, because I could really use the answer to this question.

Mark Phelps
February 9th, 2010, 03:44 AM
I wish topics like this wouldn't die, because I could really use the answer to this question.

You got an answer -- it can't be done.

mathewd
March 8th, 2011, 07:01 PM
You got an answer -- it can't be done.

I managed to do it, using an .iso of windows XP installed on a USB flash drive with unetbooter, but only for one computer, a dell inspirion laptop. i tried the same thing with a dell mini 9 and no luck. i was apparently missing the correct bootfiles. i'm not sure why such similar machines behaved so differently towards the same USB stick... i wish i did know!