PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Aptoncd

a2z
March 15th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I recently did my first computer build. Asus P5ND Mobo,intel 2 quad, nVideo 2x2g corsair, 500gHD,Lightscribe DVD R-RW.
I'm new to Ubuntu because I've pretty much had it with MS all the way around.

I've been struggling with Ubuntu for a few days. In between reading all the posts and youtube vids. I've been trying to set up a select few programs to use with Ubuntu as my sole OS.
I have also become confused when I read intel uses amd64.

Thus far, I haven't been able to install any additional software.
I have lots of packages and archives I downloaded and burnt to disc on my desktop, home, and or documents.
But for one reason or another, they don't want to run no matter what I've tried.
I haven't tried connecting to the net because I am pretty sure I won't be able to connect through motorola surfboard ethernet.

So this brings me to two questions I have not read in the forums:

1) How to get aptoncd installed? I already know where to get it.
But without any success installing anything else, I for sure
am missing something.
2) The incompatibility with exe files and linux has me stumped.
I have Gimp, Blender, and Python on windows. Where Gimp and
Python are already installed in Ubuntu. And Blender as an
optional program. An older version, but even so..
Looks like autodesk is out too. No worries though, they're both
over priced & over rated.

I'm thinking I may want (need) to read up on compiling source.
I'm also thinking there's gotta be an easier way.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
a2z

zvacet
March 17th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I haven't tried connecting to the net because I am pretty sure I won't be able to connect through motorola surfboard ethernet.

Why donīt you try first and if you have any problem come here and ask.Why you can not install downloaded packages?Maybe reason is that you have to download dependencies also.To make it more obvious look here (http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/aptoncd) and you will see packages marked with red ball.They are dependencies and you have to download them and package you want.Maybe you should try Keryx. (http://keryx.betaserver.org/)