PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] KDE4.2 dead slow on Intel chipset

FinnCoder
March 15th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Hi

I installed KDE4.2 on my Intrepid laptop (Acer Extensa 5220) and it performs mostly ok, but 3D OpenGL apps are really slow (and PulseAudio doesn't work). I mean something like 10 fps versus 40 fps on Gnome for a full-screen application. Effects are switched off. My laptop has Intel's graphic chipset. Any idea what causes this? And again: no problems with Gnome + Compiz on the same computer.

I really like the look & feel of KDE4.2 and hope that it will be the default Ubuntu desktop in the future :)

roach of discord
April 20th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Unfortunately, I have the same issue. It is just SO slow on my intel integrated graphics, while Gnome is not. Right now I've surrendered and am running Gnome..but not with happiness..I really don't like Gnome. I think it has something to do with Plasma and the Intel driver. If you kill plasma, things get fast..but then, you have no desktop..soo...not much help. My older PC had an nvidia card, and kde4 worked excellent on it..so it's definitely the driver. I think sometime soon I'm just going to buy a cheap nvidia card. It's just too much trouble.

apparle
April 20th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I had heard that KDE4 runs better on intel cards rather than nvidia/ATi
Anyways how did you check the fps. I wanna check mine

roach of discord
April 21st, 2009, 02:29 AM
For me that's the opposite. From my experience NVIDIA supports kde4 quite well. I have a fairly basic geforce card, and kde4 was lightning fast. This intel though..it's so sluggish and unbearable.

inobe
April 21st, 2009, 02:59 AM
i wouldn't run kde on that chipset, xubuntu would be more forgiving.

roach of discord
April 21st, 2009, 10:34 AM
I got bored and started playing around with my Xorg.conf.

Try adding Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"

in your xorg.conf file. It seems to have helped the speed thing in kde4, atleast, from what I can tell so far.