PDA

View Full Version : You know you've been Ubuntu-ised when...

marco123
March 15th, 2009, 10:09 PM
1. You've never used the startx command.

2. You think Nano is an iPod.

3. You don't know your IP address, netmask, domain et cetera off by heart.

4. You've used Linux for a year and you don't know what dpkg is yet.

:D

Greg
March 15th, 2009, 10:13 PM
1. xinit
2. vi
3. Isn't that what ifconfig is for?
4. Debian-based specific.

:D

TBOL3
March 15th, 2009, 10:38 PM
5. When you think the brown theme is good. (Yes, I love it, it is very pleasing on my eyes).

6. When you get very angry at the thought of having to actually use the terminal. (I actually still love the terminal).

7. You have to look up how to extract a tar.gz file every time you want to do it via the terminal.

8. Again, you don't know how to shut down the computer from the terminal without using sudo. (Really, this is driving me nuts!!!).

9. Su, who uses that peace of crap.

Dr Small
March 15th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Ubuntu being centered for newbies has lead to more GUI and less interactive learning. Hence, we have a thread like this. We're no different than Windows users now. Let's throw a party.

damis648
March 15th, 2009, 10:51 PM
5. When you think the brown theme is good. (Yes, I love it, it is very pleasing on my eyes).

6. When you get very angry at the thought of having to actually use the terminal. (I actually still love the terminal).

7. You have to look up how to extract a tar.gz file every time you want to do it via the terminal.

8. Again, you don't know how to shut down the computer from the terminal without using sudo. (Really, this is driving me nuts!!!).

Add /bin/shutdown to your sudoers file to not require a root password.

Primefalcon
March 15th, 2009, 10:53 PM

I use the blue theme :-)

Don't blaspheme, the terminal is power!

Actualy I typicaly do these from X but I do kjnow all those commands by heart, like I assume a lot of people here do....

I don't think there is a way without sudo or as damis648 said without adding commands to the bin sudoers file

sudo su? handy sometimes if your doing a lot of stuff that requires admin privledges

xpod
March 15th, 2009, 10:54 PM
You know you've been Ubuntu-ised when...

Surely the above wouldn`t mean newcomers and those that dont know what the things mentioned above mean but rather those with loads of experience who do know all of the above but yet still choose to use Ubuntu?

Skripka
March 15th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Ubuntu being centered for newbies has lead to more GUI and less interactive learning. Hence, we have a thread like this. We're no different than Windows users now. Let's throw a party.

I got noise makers.

Primefalcon
March 15th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Ubuntu still has all the advantages of linux we all love.... the only difference is it's making Linux accessible to everyone which is a good thing not a bad thing. Linux needs to be accessible to everyone....

Eisenwinter
March 15th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Linux is accessible to everyone.

Anyone can download a distribution's ISO, and therefore have Linux.

Vince4Amy
March 15th, 2009, 11:07 PM
1. You think it's perfect and nothing is better than it.

2. You call Microsoft "Micro$oft" and Windows "Winblowz"

3. You slam Novell\Red Hat even though they are the top contributors to most of the default software in Ubuntu.

4. You slam new users when they point out perfectly reasonable flaws.

Just had to post that because well it's true for some Ubuntu users, there have been many instances like this over the past week or so.

Eisenwinter
March 15th, 2009, 11:33 PM
You try to convert the whole world to Linux.

TBOL3
March 15th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Add /bin/shutdown to your sudoers file to not require a root password.

So how come I can shut down from X, w/o having to use gksudo?

WatchingThePain
March 16th, 2009, 12:09 AM
yeah googoo gaga!.
All I need is a mouse, point + click.
It's good that Ubuntu makes it easier to use Linux.
Not everyone wants to split the atom.

MaxIBoy
March 16th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I've been using Ubuntu in full textmode about 30% of the time, ever since I set up a framebuffered display. Only an hour ago, I just compiled a new kernel, and it worked the first time I tried to boot it. I use the command line for as much stuff as I can now, and I'm fairly confident with POSIX-format regular expressions.

Although, yes, I do still have to look it up whenever I want to untar something from the command line. :D

kevdog
March 16th, 2009, 12:35 AM
I know Ive been linux-ised when working with Vista lately, and I had to start worrying about spyware and virii again. When I saw a popup, all I said -- "Ah crap -- not this again!". It had been so long I forgot the feeling.

MaxIBoy
March 16th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I know Ive been linux-ised when working with Vista lately, and I had to start worrying about spyware and virii again. When I saw a popup, all I said -- "Ah crap -- not this again!". It had been so long I forgot the feeling.Agreed. It's really dramatic.

After using Ubuntu for ages, you stop being so zealous. Maybe you start to think, "Oh, Windows isn't that bad." You look at what you'd posted before and grimace about how many flamewars you participated in.

But then you have to use Windows again, for whatever reason, and you remember that, actually, it is that bad. It's kind of a jolt, especially if you go to a school computer that's been running Windows XP, un-updated and un-protected, for almost a year. That almost scared me.

Whereas, under Linux, you can leave it running un-updated and un-protected, and maybe some joker will mess with the theme, but that's about it.

TBOL3
March 16th, 2009, 01:11 AM
10. Virus, spyware, what is that?

wolfen69
March 16th, 2009, 01:11 AM
when it just works. :)

But then you have to use Windows again, for whatever reason, and you remember that, actually, it is that bad. It's kind of a jolt, especially if you go to a school computer that's been running Windows XP, un-updated and un-protected, for almost a year. That almost scared me.
i'm now gonna have nightmares after reading that.
:cry:

TBOL3
March 16th, 2009, 01:34 AM
11. Add/Remove in windows is having some trouble adding new applications.

12. Can you just give me the .deb!?!

Primefalcon
March 16th, 2009, 01:45 AM
1. You think it's perfect and nothing is better than it.
Of course I think it's the best, if I liked something else better I'd use it....

damm I just call them MicoSh1t

3. You slam Novell\Red Hat even though they are the top contributors to most of the default software in Ubuntu.
Who cares I like Ubuntu better

4. You slam new users when they point out perfectly reasonable flaws.
hmm pointing out bugs is perfectly acceptable that the whole point of launchpad after all....

Just had to post that because well it's true for some Ubuntu users, there have been many instances like this over the past week or so.
Why are you even using Linux, not slamming you but it doesn't sound like you like it very much?

C!oud
March 16th, 2009, 01:50 AM
So how come I can shut down from X, w/o having to use gksudo?

The post was referring to an earlier post how to shut Ubuntu down from the terminal without root priviliges.

Mehall
March 16th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I'm mainly an ubuntu user. I used openSUSE for a very short time.

I've used nano (daily) and even vim on occasion.

DHCP handles my IP for me, thankyouverymuch.

I dpkg on occasion.

Oh, and I have used startx, but that wasn;t on Ubuntu in fairness.

SuperSonic4
March 16th, 2009, 02:01 AM
hmm pointing out bugs is perfectly acceptable that the whole point of launchpad after all....

bugs are flaws are two entirely different things ;)

You find yourself bored because you've nothing left to tinker with

You use sudo apt-get install <X> in real life

lisati
March 16th, 2009, 02:02 AM

I thought it was Windoze or Windo$e, in honour of going to sleep waiting for it to boot, and a window was something you look through to see what the weather's like.....

Primefalcon
March 16th, 2009, 02:06 AM
bugs are flaws are two entirely different things ;)

You find yourself bored because you've nothing left to tinker with

You use sudo apt-get install <X> in real life
there's a lot of places though for people to express an opinion such as brainstorm, the forums, and typicaly people listen and discuss.

I recently had my own semi rant about Gedit being too simple, and you know what... I wasn't ripped to pieces some people disagreed and they point out why they disagreed.... The people here are typical nice and easy going

TBOL3
March 16th, 2009, 02:30 AM
The post was referring to an earlier post how to shut Ubuntu down from the terminal without root priviliges.

ya I know, that earlier post your mention, was mine. And I was saying that I can shut down the computer from x w/o root privileges, but I can't figure out how to do it from the terminal.

Primefalcon
March 16th, 2009, 02:55 AM
ya I know, that earlier post your mention, was mine. And I was saying that I can shut down the computer from x w/o root privileges, but I can't figure out how to do it from the terminal.
TBH I am kinda curious about that myself

tubezninja
March 16th, 2009, 03:26 AM

...Get a new distro?

I'm GLAD that ubuntu is more accessible. Not everyone is going to compile their own kernel, and they need to start somewhere. Ubuntu fits the bill for those people.

it also fits the bill for those of us who can customize it with alternate install CDs to be as complex or as minimalist as we want.

You DO know how to do this right? I mean, if you're using Arch and all...

C!oud
March 16th, 2009, 03:38 AM

Forgive me as I wasn't looking at user names. Otherwise, I do not know as it's never bothered me.

Primefalcon
March 16th, 2009, 03:40 AM
...Get a new distro?

I'm GLAD that ubuntu is more accessible. Not everyone is going to compile their own kernel, and they need to start somewhere. Ubuntu fits the bill for those people.

it also fits the bill for those of us who can customize it with alternate install CDs to be as complex or as minimalist as we want.

You DO know how to do this right? I mean, if you're using Arch and all...
TBH I feel Ubuntu is exactly what is needed here, a way to bring more people into Linux... Finally a Distro that I can give your typical person who is not even computer oriented. If you want something a little more build it yourself go Gentoo

earthpigg
March 16th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Re: You know you've been Ubuntu-ised when...

you try to alt+middleclick to resize windows, on whatever computer.

you think it is silly that there is software out there that cannot be installed via sudo apt-get install [software]

you tell someone to go start -> run -> cmd -> htop (or gparted. etc)

.... and must think a moment before realizing why it isn't working.

dmizer
March 16th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Closed thread.

I'm not convinced that this topic falls into any of the following categories:

Is light hearted
Not intended to create an argument
For community building
In the spirit of Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct).

matthew
March 16th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I see your point, Dmizer, but I think the thread is harmless. I am going to overturn your decision and reopen the thread with a gentle reminder to everyone to please remember to keep things lighthearted and fun. Thanks, all.

marco123
March 16th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Wow, it nearly got closed.

I should have explained maybe in the first post: it's a joke thread for people like me who started with Ubuntu, then tried a load of other distros, including the "hard" ones like Arch and Gentoo, then ended up back using Ubuntu because of the supreme ease of use and lack of configuration needed, so if anything I suppose it could be a construed as a thread making fun of the difficulty of other distros. (Like knowing your IP address off by heart because you've had to input it so many times.)

The idea of the thread for me was to make fun of the way I, and others, were before trying other distros. We were pampered by Ubuntu and thought all Linux was this good/easy!

It was supposed to be like the threads you see on gaming forums e.g. "You know you've played Morrowind too much when..."

Maybe I should have named the thread "You know you've been pampered by Ubuntu when..." and used the past tense for my points like, "You haven't used the startx command for months.", but I thought it would be funnier the other way. (Oops.)

Apologies for any misunderstanding.

Cheers, Marco.

pelle.k
March 16th, 2009, 03:54 PM
The point IS that only an administrator should be able to do that. Since other users might be logged in to the system.
But, since you ask, you (probably) have those privileges through policykit in gnome, and in the future admins should be able to filter who can. Again, through policykit.

So, for now, what you do is;

gnome-power-cmd.sh shutdown

scratman
March 16th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I'm not sure it's a symptom of ubuntu-aholicism, but I have only used Vista about 6 times since it came out, and every time I go near it, I need to ask for help, as though I've never seen a PC before. I guess Ubuntu just makes a bit more sense to me. There are still a few annoyances with it though. And I agree with mark Shuttleworth, Ubuntu is still not ready to be used by everybody. It's great for tinkerers, but can be troublesome for anybody with a Windows-centric computer experience.

Eisenwinter
March 16th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Why are you even using Linux, not slamming you but it doesn't sound like you like it very much?
I use Linux, and I still don't think Ubuntu is that good of a distro.

(I use Arch)

linuxisevolution
March 16th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I got noise makers.

I got the drinks...

Think of an Ubuntu themed drink = poop.

KDE 4.2 drink = Vodka :D

I do like the Brown theme though... Using it now...

You've been dissed when:

1. You think Linux has no games yet you haven't tried Enemy Territory or Vdrift.

2. You haven't realized Open Office saves in a standard format that is more efficient than Word.

3. You don't know that you can use a different user interface every five minutes. :P

namegame
March 16th, 2009, 04:51 PM
3. You don't know that you can use a different user interface every five minutes. :P

Assuming your internet connection can keep up. :P Of course, that's under the assumption that you already don't have 6 different DE's downloaded.

You could really throw a curve ball to a non-linux user, by randomly switching DE's while they are watching. :P

(I seem big on the assumptions today)

Mehall
March 16th, 2009, 04:51 PM
2. You haven't realized Open Office saves in a standard format that is more efficient than Word.

Check this (http://blog.mehall.co.cc/?p=82)

linuxisevolution
March 16th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Check this (http://blog.mehall.co.cc/?p=82)

It was the standard format and hopefully will be again.

It doesn't matter though, oOO is better :D

DonaldJ
March 17th, 2009, 06:48 AM

You always unconsciously type "Windows" as "Windoes" or "Windwoes"...

You can't recall what microsoft sells...

k2t0f12d
March 17th, 2009, 08:30 AM
...you don't actually use it on any of your own computers, but you give it to your friends.

Ptero-4
March 25th, 2009, 05:04 AM
When you install XP and wonder why you got no sound, no networking and a crappy screen resolution.

swoll1980
March 25th, 2009, 05:29 AM
When ever your with 2 friends you feel the sudden urge to form a circle

PurposeOfReason
March 25th, 2009, 07:05 AM
When you need a derivitive of Ubuntu just for openbox (crunchbang linux).

Orlsend
March 25th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Linux is accessible to everyone.

Anyone can download a distribution's ISO, and therefore have Linux.

Yeah, but Ubuntu ships it to your home for free, the only distro I know that does that