PDA

View Full Version : Where are you seen Ubuntu in use ???

forcecore
March 15th, 2009, 08:55 PM
where for example like post office, scools, gas stop etc...

post your sightings or even better picture if you have because i am very interested current spread of ubuntu (kubuntu too) in world:

:popcorn:

smartboyathome
March 15th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I've seen it in use in ReLectronics (local computer recycling store). But, then again, many of the volenteers are BLUGers. ;)

kevin11951
March 15th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I've seen it in use in ReLectronics (local computer recycling store). But, then again, many of the volenteers are BLUGers. ;)

I am almost afraid to ask ;)

smartboyathome
March 15th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I am almost afraid to ask ;)

Bellingham Linux Users Group. Yes, I'm that much of a nerd geek. :P

scottuss
March 15th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I saw it on the Elonex Webbooks in Carphone Warehouse (UK mobile phone retailer) To be honest I had a rant on these very forums about how much of a bad implementation it was. I had a play on several demo models in several different stores and each one was slow and badly configured. I have to say, it didn't make Ubuntu look very good.

Eisenwinter
March 15th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I have never seen any Linux distribution used on any computer other than my own.

lisati
March 15th, 2009, 09:14 PM
The only place I've seen Linux in use in recent times (other than at home) was at a couple of shops, on a couple of Asus Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee machines, and it wasn't even Ubuntu! I probably wouldn't be convinced to buy one - amongst other things, the machines were too small and I had to squint to read the screens.

scottuss
March 15th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Actually I just remembered, I was sat on a coach in Sweden (beautiful country!) and there was a guy sat in front of me who had Linux on his laptop. As I recall it was knoppix... I think. Lol it was a while ago.

damis648
March 15th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Only once at a store, it was some random store selling computer parts that went out of business very quickly. It was running Gutsy at the time, with compiz effects and all sitting as a display model. :popcorn:

mividaloca
March 15th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I have seen linux at a few places here in the UK, most notably toys-r-us (shop assistant) another place is a local book store use a linux laptop

forcecore
March 15th, 2009, 11:04 PM
go on... interesting cases but do not post home computer uses because too many of them, only sightings or better picture.

this type posts may be in but only ubuntu (kubuntu too):

Actually I just remembered, I was sat on a coach in Sweden (beautiful country!) and there was a guy sat in front of me who had Linux on his laptop. As I recall it was knoppix... I think. Lol it was a while ago.

Bölvağur
March 15th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I've only seen ubuntu on other student's laptops at school. Never in shops or anything.

Tux Aubrey
March 16th, 2009, 12:29 AM
OK - a real one.

My office is a windows shop (1,000+ users) and we use SAP extensively. About six months ago I was located in an office next to desks put aside for consultants and there was a SAP upgrade team ensconsed. I walked past one of these desks and noticed a SAP consultant had a laptop open next to the standard desktop machine. He was using Ubuntu!

.Maleficus.
March 16th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Besides my computers, only twice.

1. On the Eee PCs we sell.

2. I was at work and one of my coworkers told me he had a call about Linux. I'm really the only competent Linux user there, so grabbed the phone and had him come in. The poor noob was trying to dual-boot and just overwrote everything. I was loling really hard inside, because he was telling me about his CS major, but I did feel kind of bad at the time. His dad who came along to get the computer checked out then proceeded to tell me that Linux was a virus and when I told him that "no sir, if you connect the computer to your network your other computers will not get infected with Linux", he made one of those nice "Pfff" noises to me and walked away. Cause, I mean, the IT guys at his work are never wrong or anything... ;)

lisati
March 16th, 2009, 01:25 AM
The last time I saw Ubuntu in the shop was an installation disk for Feisty. And that was just a couple of months ago.