PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using Gimp to make a panel background layered with transparency

frankwakeman
March 15th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I've made a panel background by taking the Vista-like panel from LXDE, inverting it and altering the hue so that it's kind of silvery. I think it could look better still if I could give it an amount of transparency. That is, not the easy trick of increasing the transparency of the panel using its easy-to-access settings, but to make the artwork transparent with Gimp. If there is a Gimp master here, could they tell me how to go about this. I'm imagining it can be done, kind of like the Fedora backgrounds that are invisible until they're used over a coloured background.

The panel .png file is 1 x 30, which so far has a grey to white gradient. I zoom the picture by 1400% so I can see what I'm doing.

Thanks.

ajgreeny
March 15th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I'm not sure I quite understand what you are trying to do, but if you have the layers dialog open in gimp, you can change the transparency of the active layer with a slider as shown in my attachment. This shows an original artwork with a new solid red layer added and the transparency slider set to 50%. You can also add transparency to the original layer if you wish. I'm sorry if this isn't clear, but try it and it may do what you want. If I'm barking up the wrong tree, ignore this completely and await another better answer.

frankwakeman
March 18th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I thought I'd replied to this, but maybe I didn't click on Submit. So:

Thanks, this is exactly what I was after, and the results look very swish.