PDA

View Full Version : Universal Applets better than screenlets, gdesklets, and conky?

DPic
March 15th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I was looking at this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1034695) discussion of the best widget framework. It seemed like Universal Applets is where this is all headed. Time for a more up-to-date debate!

How do all the projects differ in design (what are the fundamental differences)?
Which is the most promising for the future?
How much system resources do they consume?

trondhuso
January 2nd, 2010, 10:25 PM
To me it seems like all of the Widget frameworks ("Screenlets") projects have been abandoned and that no one are creating widgets/applets for any of them.

Regenweald
January 2nd, 2010, 11:55 PM
I am *definitely* going to be using Opera 10.5 alongside Chromium on my machine, and they have this spanking new widget framework. So if there are any that I find useful, I'll use them. No point in installing another widget framework if one come stock with what is arguably IMO, the best available browser today.

PS. Mods, this is an old-ish thread but I hope you let this on slide, rather than starting from scratch. This could pick back up :)

User3k
June 17th, 2011, 03:43 AM
I am *definitely* going to be using Opera 10.5 alongside Chromium on my machine, and they have this spanking new widget framework. So if there are any that I find useful, I'll use them. No point in installing another widget framework if one come stock with what is arguably IMO, the best available browser today.

PS. Mods, this is an old-ish thread but I hope you let this on slide, rather than starting from scratch. This could pick back up :)

Hey he is correct. This could be a fast moving post. If we get one or two replies a year it will be great. ;-)

Sorry, was searching for something and ran across this, couldn't resist :-)

nc_jed
December 10th, 2011, 05:37 PM
mods, can we make it sticky? lol